The Leidos Innovation Center (LInC) is seeking a Chief Scientist in Machine Learning (ML) for a senior technical leadership position within the Leidos Innovation Center (LInC) to work in Arlington, VA. Work with other senior leaders in the LInC, the Office of Technology (OoT), and across Leidos to accelerate ML innovation by developing and refining strategy, directing major activities and programs, and representing Leidos within the broader ML community.
As one of the Chief Scientists within the LInC and the OoT, the Chief Scientist in ML will lead the formulation and execution of an ambitious research agenda in Artificial Intelligence (AI) and ML that delivers key capabilities to our customers and markets. In collaboration with senior leaders, he/she will refine and expand a Leidos Enterprise strategy in ML that supports our markets in Health, Civil, Defense, and Intelligence. He/she will help define and prioritize millions of dollars of internal Leidos investment in ML, leading a deep and talented team of scientists and engineers as they design and execute ambitious projects aligned with that strategy. He/she will play a principal role in pursuing, capturing, and executing major new contract R&D opportunities with customers like DARPA, IARPA, AFRL, ARL, and NRO. He/she will provide ML thought leadership within Leidos, to our customers, and throughout the broader ML community.
Fun stuff you will do on the job:
- Expand and enhance AI and ML strategy for a $10B+ Fortune 500 company with major markets in Defense, Intelligence, Civil, and Health.
- Design and articulate an ML research agenda that is consistent with that strategy and supports a large pipeline of opportunities for which these technologies are critical.
- Develop a broad set of creative and innovative R&D concepts that address major and emerging AI/ML challenges and advance the state of the art in key areas of strategic importance to Leidos. Work with potential sponsors (internal and/or external) to secure funding for new research efforts based on those concepts.
-Provide senior technical direction to a team of 25+ Ph. D.-level AI/ML researchers within the LInC and informally to a larger community from across Leidos working on internally and externally funded R&D programs in AI and ML.
-Serve as a key technical expert on ML within Leidos and across the community, including:
• Supporting major captures across all business areas by identifying opportunities to leverage ML as part of an overall solution that delivers value to the customer, working with solution architects to design the ML components that deliver that value, and reviewing proposals to ensure that they are effective and compelling.
• Advising C-suite and Leidos business areas leaders on a broad range of technology, strategy, and policy issues associated with AI and ML.
• Serving as a Leidos Technical Fellow, providing SME expertise across Leidos as part of the Leidos community of senior technical leaders.
• Representing Leidos as a member of external advisory groups in ML, AI and related areas.
Skills you need to be successful in this role:
-Master's degree in computer science or a related discipline, such as statistics or applied mathematics with at least 10+ years of technical leadership as Program Manager or Principal Investigator for major AI/ML programs in industry, academia, or government.
-Must be a US Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a TS/SCI.
-National / international reputation in one or more subfields of ML or AI, including: Computer Vision; Pattern Recognition; Predictive Modeling and Decision Support; Computational Linguistics/Natural Language Processing; Speech Processing/ASR; Machine Translation; Adversarial ML; AI Assurance; Explainable AI; Knowledge Representation and Reasoning; Graph Processing/Graph Analytics.
-Thorough knowledge and understanding of many areas of Machine Learning, including Deep Learning.
-Extensive record of widely cited publications in peer-reviewed conferences and journals.
-Ability to communicate effectively about ML with a broad range of audiences, from internal leaders to external customers and from sophisticated ML researchers to those with little or no relevant background.
You will wow us even more if you have these skills:
-Experience as a government Program Manager in a relevant R&D organization that supports ML research (DARPA/IARPA/AFRL/NSF) or as a Principal Investigator executing research on major programs for such customers.
-Hands-on experience with a broad range of deep learning tools (e.g., TensorFlow, Spark, Theano, PyTorch, Scikit-learn, Keras, Caffe, Nvidia Digits) and collaboration environments (e.g. Jupyter notebooks, PyCharm)
-Extensive experience with many of the following models: Deep Learning (CNNs, RCNNs, LSTMs), GANs, Autoencoders, Reinforcement Learning, Siamese Networks, Logistic Regression, Linear Regression, Support Vector Machines, Hidden Markov Models, Conditional Random Fields, Latent Dirichlet Allocation
-Experience in designing solutions that optimize ML performance by through advanced HW and software techniques.
External Referral Program