Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Security Operations Center (SOC) is a US Government program responsible to prevent, identify, contain and eradicate cyber threats to CBP networks through monitoring, intrusion detection and protective security services to CBP information systems including local area networks/wide area networks (LAN/WAN), commercial Internet connection, public facing websites, wireless, mobile/cellular, cloud, security devices, servers and workstations. The CBP SOC is responsible for the overall security of CBP Enterprise-wide information systems, and collects, investigates and reports any suspected and confirmed security violations. Leidos currently has a need for a Splunk Engineer, junior level, for this highly visible cyber security program supporting Customs and Border Protection (CBP) security operations center (SOC). The Junior Splunk Engineer will support the full system engineering life-cycle, including requirements analysis, design, development, implementation, integration, test, and documentation.
The Junior Splunk Engineer will follow defined best practices and operational workflows.
The Junior Splunk Engineer will provide engineering, and administration in supporting a very large distributed clustered Splunk environment consisting of search heads, indexers, deployers, deployment servers, heavy/universal forwarders and Splunk Enterprise Security premuim app, spanning security, performance, and operational roles. The Engineer should be familiar with recognizing and onboarding new data sources into Splunk, analyzing the data for anomalies and trends, and assist with building dashboards highlighting the key trends of the data. The Splunk engineer should be familiar within a Linux environment, editing and maintaining Splunk configuration files and apps.
The Junior Splunk Engineer will be a member of the Enterprise Splunk team and will work side by side with Senior Splunk Engineers on the Cybersecurity Engineering team. Will be required to interact with end users to gather requirements, perform troubleshooting, and provide assistance with the creation of Splunk search queries and dashboards. The Splunk Engineer may be required interact with senior management, as necessary.
- Requires BS degree and 8 - 12 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 6 - 10 years of prior relevant experience.
- Experience in Splunk clustered environment supporting SOC or NOC.
- Formal Splunk Education Courses.
- Splunk 6.x-7.x (Splunk Certified preferred) Administrator level
- Ability to script in one or more of the following computer languages, Python, Bash, Visual Basic or Powershell
- Knowledge of Cloud Services such as AWS, Azure, Office365
- Must have an active Secret Clearance and in addition, must have a current or be able to favorably pass a 5 year (BI) Background Investigation to join this program.
- Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH)
- Oral Communication
- Written Communication
- Technical Expertise
- Results Oriented
- Customer Service