Leidos currently has an opening for a research engineer to work at the US Department of Energy National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) in Morgantown WV. The incumbent in this position will support research in optics, photonics and laser processing of materials. The primary duty will be to conduct research on crystalline optical fiber fabrication, coating, and processing, through operation, maintenance and modification of a Laser Heated Pedestal Growth. Support for the research will require LabView programming and use of lasers, optics, computer vision, and photonic components. Duties will also include providing incidental support for the other optics and sensors projects and laboratories, including specification and procurement of laboratory supplies and equipment.
Responsibilities are functional in nature and performed under limited supervision. Specific tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for meeting task requirements of NETL and LRST research managers in attaining goals established for the NETL team as delineated in the statements of work pertaining to funding awards supporting this position.
- Responsible for providing R&D technical support for the NETL Advance Sensors and Controls team.
- Responsible for assisting the Advance Sensors and Controls team to fabricate uniform, high quality, low loss single crystal sapphire fiber, fabricate customized high-quality single crystal sapphire fiber, develop novel optical fiber sensors for harsh environments, and present technical findings during regular team meetings as well as at workshops and professional conferences.
- Responsible for operating, maintaining and modifying a laser heated pedestal growth system (LHPG).
- Responsible for creating new functions to control, monitor and analyze the single crystal fiber growth process with Labview and Matlab.
- Responsible for testing the optical properties and performance of the single crystal optical fiber made by the LHPG system.
- Active participation in group meetings of the Functional Materials Development Division, as well as other task related meetings.
- Analyzing experimental data from laboratory tests and published data from other authors.
- Assisting in the preparation of technical papers, reports, conference papers, and annual and quarterly reports.
- Presenting the results of the research at technical conferences and publishing in archival journals.
- PhD in Electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, physics, materials science, optics, or a closely related field.
- A minimum of 1 year work experience post-PhD.
- A minimum of 1 year experience operating, maintaining and modifying a laser heated pedestal growth system (LHPG) for fabricating single-crystal optical fibers.
- Proficiency in mechanics: 3D CAD design with Solidworks, Autodesk Inventor or similar packages.
- Considerable hands-on experience in mechanical system design and experience in mechanical parts fabrication using manual and CNC machine tools.
- Proficiency in optics: experience in light path alignment and measurement in complicated optical systems, free-space-to-fiber coupling, experience in optical fiber sensing; specifically with applications in harsh environment sensing, experience with Raman DTS (distributed temperature sensing), OTDR (optical time-domain reflectometry), OFDR (optical frequency-domain reflectometry), FBGs (fiber Bragg gratings) and general spectroscopy techniques.
- Proficiency in Matlab and Labview for research instrumentation and data collection.
- Experience with machine-vision systems and digital image processing.
- Experience as a Laser Operator in an ANSI compliant laser safety program.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the writing of scholarly publications
- Demonstrated proficiency in collaborating technical findings with external research organizations such as research laboratories and/or academic institutions
- Ability to document and present research results, including using power point presentations and making podium presentations at technical meetings.
- Preference for experience in a national laboratory environment or industrial R&D lab where safe working practices are paramount
Clearance: Incumbent must be able to meet the requirements for gaining clearance to work on the NETL campus