Leidos Corporate Group has an immediate opening for a VP of Tax Planning and Audits in Reston - VA.
In this role, you will be the top tax researcher and audit negotiator for the Company, and will lead an in-house team of tax professionals and own the strategic and operational plans for two significant tax functions-Income Tax Planning (US federal, state and international) and Income Tax Audits (IRS, state and foreign). Ability to work effectively is essential as you will influence the actions of other Leidos Finance and Operations associates, often delivering complex tax communications to senior Leidos leadership, especially the tax implications of various merger and acquisition and foreign investment decisions.
- Budget for, engage with, and direct the activities of third party law firm and accounting firm tax subject matter experts to derive optimal tax solutions to complex Leidos business endeavors.
- Deliver annual tax planning to support business initiatives resulting in significant bottom line financial impacts (over $85 million in FY2018).
- Responsible for tactical and operational approaches to present complex tax technical analysis to government tax auditors and to negotiate favorable settlements (on a taxable income base of over $600 million annually). Establish short-term and mid-term goals and objectives for tax planning and audits.
- Direct complex and time-sensitive tax due diligence and structuring for all of the Company's merger & acquisition efforts.
- Monitor, understand, and implement federal, state and international tax laws (including the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act).
- Frequent communication with internal peer functions, external advisors and government tax auditors.
- Delegate, review and approve technical tax writing assignments, often engaging national tax experts to document how complex tax laws apply to Leidos facts.
- Direct, supervise, and review the work of seven Leidos employees. Establish annual goals for tax planning and tax audit work.
- Recruit, train, and evaluate the performance of highly skilled tax technicians, many of whom possess advanced degrees and certifications such as CPA's or attorneys.
- Work collaboratively with peers to share resources in order to accomplish tasks in the most cost effective, accurate and efficient manner. Manage a significant annual budget for outside legal and tax advisors ($1.5 million in FY18).
- BA/BS degree in Finance, Accounting, or related field and 15 years of applicable career experience.
- Able to structure the communication for appropriate audience, i.e. presenting complex IRS rules and regulations to senior Leidos leadership in a clear, concise and actionable manner.
- Deep knowledge of complex and evolving US federal income tax rules and regulations.
- Broad experience with state and local income taxation and foreign taxation of US-based multinational corporations.
- Experience leading tax professionals in a public company or public accounting firm with focus on delivering tax planning and audit defense projects is required, as is familiarity with income tax compliance processes and income tax accounting and controls.
- Experience with government contracting entities will be useful.
- Masters of Taxation degree, Certified Public Accountant certification and/or a JD/law degree.