Are you interested in improving and shaping the transportation industry? Leidos leads the USDOT's research and development of new technologies to improve the safety, operation, and efficiency of the nation's transportation system. We're looking for someone that is motivated by variety, is seeking a challenging environment for professional growth, and will lead efforts regarding database modeling, data storage, and managing systems for a wide variety of final data products. The successful candidate will have an ability to perform a variety of duties surrounding data and database technology as well as quickly adapt to research and development (R&D) solutions.
Leidos is hiring a Mid level Database Solution Architect in McLean, Virginia, to support a team of researchers in deployment of the latest automated vehicle technology as a key part of the Leidos team supporting the Federal Highway Administration's (FHWA's) cutting-edge research at Turner Fairbank Highway Research Center (TFHRC). The role will be a leader in all aspects of data/database design, development, storage and analysis as part of a larger research team that develops new connected and automated vehicle technologies for FHWA.
This role will support the Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL), a state-of-the-art facility for conducting connected and automated vehicle research. The laboratory enables FHWA to validate and refine new transportation services and technologies. The position will be a thought leader to the overall team as related to databases and data development. The successful candidate will assist in the processing, cleansing and verifying the integrity of data used for analysis throughout intelligent transportation. This includes efficient application of machine learning techniques and algorithms. The successful candidate has practical experiences with applied statistics skills, such as distributions, statistical testing and regression. Technical writing experience and a knowledge of the USDOT, transportation industry, connected and automated vehicles (CAV), Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), and emerging technologies are preferred.
• Software development, data architecture development, database operation and administration.
• Develop, operate and administer data warehouse(s).
• Respond in a timely manner and complete to data requests from internal and external customers.
• Analyze data to identify and compare norms, trends, and patterns.
• Validate data analysis results and analytically identifies anomalies.
• Conduct self-directed research to uncover problems and provides data analysis support to the team in support of their projects.
• Write technical documents that describe handling and functionality of various data architectures and solutions.
• Build and maintain trust with key FHWA stakeholders to facilitate communication on R&D priorities.
Required Education, Skills, and Experience:
• Bachelor's Degree in a quantitative discipline and 4+ years related experience or Master's Degree in a quantitative discipline and 2+ years of related experience. Related Experience includes: applied machine learning and data mining methods, such as clustering and anomaly detection, to understand data patterns and select appropriate predictive techniques.
• Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust clearance with US Government.
• Processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data used for analysis.
• Proficiency in using query languages such as SQL, Hive, Pig.
• Understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms.
• Experience with applied statistics skills, such as distributions, statistical testing, regression, etc.
• Ability to perform scripting and programming skills.
• Experience with NoSQL databases, such as MongoDB, Cassandra, HBase.
• Fluent with Microsoft Office tools/programs, especially Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
• Excellent verbal, written, and communication skills in English.
• Capable of transforming complicated subject matter and diverse source material into coherent, engaging, and accurate communications for a variety of audiences.
• Ability to work independently and with small teams.
• Strong work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit.
• Ability to thrive in highly flexible, rapidly changing, ambiguous work environment.
• Strong interpersonal skills, maturity, and tact.
• Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines across multiple projects simultaneously, prioritizing demands on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
Desired Skills and Experience:
• Project management skills.
• Demonstrated initiative and resourcefulness.
• Ability to learn substance of research quickly and the intellectual curiosity and dedication to master vast and complex subjects.
• Skilled at cultivating and managing relationships.
• Proven and measureable track record in business development.
• Worked with data visualization tools such as: ggplot, d3.js and Matplottlib, and Tableau
• Demonstrated knowledge in Machine Learning and AI with techniques such as: neural networks, recurrent and convolutional networks, and decision trees.