The Defense Health Operation of Leidos is currently looking for a Research Engineer III to support biomedical research at the Naval Medical Research Unit, San Antonio (NAMRU-SA) in San Antonio, TX. NAMRU-SA conducts gap driven combat casualty care, craniofacial, and directed energy research to improve survival, operational readiness, and safety of Department of Defense personnel engaged in routine and expeditionary operations.
The ideal candidate shall:
Develop and conduct protocol driven scientific research addressing various aspects of military medicine, including, but not limited to improving the diagnoses, treatment, and prevention of combat casualties and oral/dental/craniofacial diseases. Prepare experimental equipment and software, aid in development of experimental proposals, protocols and procedures using knowledge and experience in: machine learning, artificial intelligence, neural networks, mechanical engineering, fluid mechanics, numerical modeling and simulation, biomaterials, diagnostic imaging, spectroscopy and rapid prototyping. Collect and evaluate data sets, develop presentation materials, and present findings at technical and professional meetings.
- Work is to be primarily performed on a government installation. The normal work week is Monday through Friday 0800 to 1630.
- Some offsite travel (~10%) may be required for data collection efforts, presentations, etc.
- The candidate will be required to acquire, at a minimum, a SECRET classification access level. Preference will be given to a candidate who already has this clearance level.
- Due to Federal contract requirements, US citizenship is required.
- Candidates must have completed a Masters degree from an accredited US university, or international university of equivalent standard, in Mechanical or Electrical Computer Engineering or a related field and 2-6 years of professional experience
- Ability to work independently and as part of an engineering team
- Strong analytical skills and ability to collaborate with a team of engineers and scientists; excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Doctoral Degree in Mechanical or Electrical or related field
- Experience in technical report writing