The Biobehavioral Division within the Military and Veterans Health Services Operation at Leidos has a need for a Technical Writer/Editor.
The individual selected for this position will perform a variety of duties to include writing, editing and other support to the Research Operations Department at the Naval Health Research Center, San Diego, CA. Specifically, work efforts may include editing, proofreading and providing writing support on non-technical and/or technical documents or sections of documents prepared by writers such as manuals, procedures and specifications. Duties may include ensuring documents meet editorial and government specifications and adhering to standards for quality, graphics, coverage, format and style.
- Provide consultation and critique in the areas of writing and preparation of medical, technical, and scientific authored works, including journal articles, technical reports, book chapters, abstracts, presentations, and posters
- Serve as a reviewer in the Agreements eProcess to edit and ensure respective agreement types are consistent with and meet Navy Correspondence requirements
- When necessary, train key Agreements reviewers on Navy Correspondence
- Support Research Coordinators in the development and troubleshooting of authored works electronic processes
- Maintain and update conference and journal guidelines for authored works
- Support Chief Science Executive in the writing of monthly science blog
- Support Public Affairs Officer in the writing and editing of press releases
- Work collaboratively with the Deputy Chief Scientist and Research Compliance office to write Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for NHRC's Institutional Review Board processes
- Collaborate with the Research Coordinator on the design and layout of department SharePoint pages
a. HS diploma with 2-4 years of experience
b. Familiarity with medical, government, and U.S. and foreign militaries terminology; the American Medical Association Manual of Style, 10th Edition; the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, 6th Edition; and Department of the Navy Correspondence Manual (SECNAV M 5216.5).
c. Experience and proficiency with Windows-based computer systems; administrative databases; Microsoft Office, including SharePoint, InfoPath, and OneNote; and Adobe Acrobat XI Pro.
d. Experience with the military or consulting in a DoD environment preferred.
g. Strong skills to critically review, independently edit, format and synthesize various types of input
(verbal, notes, emails, drafts) into a cohesive document or correspondence in accordance with the
Navy Correspondence Manual, Official Navy Message Traffic, and other format policies,
including military technical documents such as point papers, policies, and messages.
Previous or current clearance or history of a completed government background check