The Leidos Defense Group is looking for a self-motivated and resourceful Junior Electrical Engineer in Long Beach, MS to support test and evaluation (T&E) of an autonomous medium-displacement unmanned surface vessel (MDUSV), which is the fancy name for a 135-foot long, state-of-the-art, robotic trimaran. The first MDUSV was designed and built by Leidos several years ago, and is now operational on the U.S. west coast. The second vessel is currently being fabricated in Gulfport, MS, and will be launched next year. This job entails hands-on T&E of the vessel's electrical systems which are being fabricated by Leidos in Long Beach. It also requires on-site T&E of the vessel during fabrication at a boatyard in Gulfport. After the vessel is launched, T&E activities will move to the open waters of the Gulf of Mexico, which requires the applicant to go to sea. This is a great opportunity to contribute to a very exciting and strategically important Department of Defense (DoD) program while growing with a great technical team at Leidos.
- Conduct testing of vessel components and systems during the vessel fabrication phase and document the test results.
- Update existing test procedures as needed to account for component or system design changes or revised manufacturing or testing processes.
- Identify discrepancies discovered during testing, and follow-up on corrective actions. Conduct and document re-testing as necessary.
- Prepare test reports which summarize test results and identify discrepancies discovered and corrective actions taken.
- Work with the vessel fabrication subcontractor to plan and conduct tests during vessel construction.
- Work with members of the Leidos engineering and fabrication teams to plan and conduct tests during and after vessel construction.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering
- Circuit card assembly (CCA) design including: analog and digital circuit design, schematic capture, component research, parts list development, printed circuit board design and CCA drawing development
- A working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs including POWERPOINT, WORD, EXCEL, VISIO and PROJECT
- Ability to produce test procedures and test reports
- Ability to work on a team and lead others while directing test activities
- Willingness to travel and to go to sea aboard marine vessels (up to 10% time at sea)
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Secret-level security clearance
- 1-2 years of work experience in industry or as an engineering co-op student
- A working knowledge of C, C++, PYTHON or similar programming language
- Active Secret Security Clearance