LEIDOS currently has an opening for a North African Linguist. Performs full range of activities in processing materials or participating in situations requiring a general professional capability as follows:
- Can accurately translate reports/texts in electronic and hard copy formats that not only contain facts but also some abstract language showing an ability to capture intended implications and many nuances.
- Can generally capture geopolitical, regional, ethnic, and cultural elements in text. Word choice and expression generally adhere to target language (TL) norms and means of expression specific to subject field (s) and are strong enough to allow translator to operate successively in that field. Interpretation:
- Able to interpret accurately. Normally consecutive interpretation is needed, but on rare occasions simultaneous interpretation may be requested
- Has good understanding of one or more regional dialects. Transcription: • Reviews audio or internet materials, transcribes with high degree of accuracy and expression.
- Must possess excellent English-language written communication skills for preparing reports.
- Has good understanding of one or more regional dialects. Gisting/Summarizing:
- Is able to identify and accurately summarize factual points as well as abstract concepts.
- Can triage documentation to isolate pertinent and nuanced info.
- Master use of reference materials.
- Must possess computer skills; including MS Office, to be able to produce written translations and products and sufficient internet skills that will allow basic research on the Web.
- Must possess excellent English-language verbal communication skills for giving briefings.
Security Clearance Requirements:
- TS/SCI with polygraph is required. Linguist cannot begin work on contract without a fully adjudicated security clearance.
- R equires a BA/BS degree and 8 - 12 years of prior relevant experience or equivalent formal military training. Or have a Masters with 6 - 10 years of prior relevant experience.
Language Testing Requirements:
- All candidates will be required to take and pass a North African language test administered by LEIDOS/ an accepted commercial testing vendors.
- Experience deployed as a linguist supporting contingency operations
- Knowledge of U.S. Intelligence Community, military, cryptologic, law enforcement experience
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing in Target and English
- Linguists who are proficient in multiple languages are
- Position is located in the Washington, DC Metropolitan Area (WMA).External Referral Eligible