Senior Database Administrator
Leidos is looking for a talented and experienced Database Administrator with a strong Database background to join a large, dynamic program in Rockville/Gaithersburg, Maryland. This program is a large, complex multi-discipline project that uses COTS database products, including Oracle Database and Mango Database as well as several custom MS Access-based applications. The candidate should be familiar with these products supporting each through the entire lifecycle from design/development through delivery and operational support. The candidate should provide highly technical expertise in providing business application solutions. Also, specify proper types of file organization, indexing
methods, and security procedures and advise contractor project teams on the design of complex databases (e.g., schema and subschema details). The candidate should utilize his/her understanding of hardware/software, communication environments and related peripheral equipment and should define specialized aspects of user's data base administrator documentation and perform detailed comparisons of various data base systems.
The position requires an individual to work on a small, highly skilled team, which supports mission critical systems by providing technical database support and establishing innovative, time sensitive solutions. The candidate must work under minimal supervision, have the ability to multi-task and adapt to change, and possess strong organizational and communication skills. Additionally, the candidate must be highly motivated, very detailed oriented, creative, effective, supportive, talented and a self-starter with the ability to take ownership of assigned tasks, independently determine the approach to fixing problems and push to closure on scheduled milestones and energetic team member who will bring true value to the organization. In addition to database technologies, script writing utilizing PL/SQL, Python, PERL, and/or Java is desirable as well as knowledge of VBA for maintaining MS Access applications.
Database Administrator Job Duties includes, but is not limited to:
• Performs Database administration tasks (installing, maintaining, monitoring, recovering, rebuilding, upgrading, patching and performance tuning)
• Maintains, develops and implements policies and procedures for ensuring the security and integrity of the databases. Develops/executes backup and archival policies and procedures
• Monitors, administrates, and implements performance on database systems as well as database performance optimization, develops/changes database indices, redesigns database structure and reloads data into a database
• Research and recommend innovative, and where applicable automate approaches for database administrations tasks.
• Coordinates database architecture changes with cross-orgs engineers
• Understands normalization, De-normalization, transactions, ACID
• Performs disaster recovery, performance analysis and tuning, index maintenance, and monitoring of data.
• Evaluates and recommends available database management system (DBMS) products. Advise/participate in design of complex databases (e.g. schema and subschema details)
• Performs database and software life-cycle activities to ensure highest level of system performance and availability and compliance with business requirements.
• Performs Oracle, SQL Server and Database and Application server administration.
• Organizes and formats data for efficient query and storage processes.
• Support installation of database management systems, databases, tables and views
• Support the administration and use of current and emerging database tools, strategies and technologies
• Enhances the content of the Data so to make keep data up to date with the latest content needed for various platforms to operate without incident.
• Provides expertise in data storage systems
• Creates mechanism to mass import, add, delete and improve the content of the data stored.
• Meets expected deadlines so to ensure continued performance of systems at the expected
• Plans database upgrades by maintaining, evaluating, and improving a transaction processing model. Configuring storage systems software to meet requirements
• Has experience with API integration
• Assesses database performance by developing a protocol for measurement of results and identification of problem areas.
• Supports database performance by monitoring database performance; evaluating and resolving processing and programming problems; designing database management tools; answering user questions.
• Secures database by preparing access and control policies and procedures; implementing disaster recovery procedures.
• Supports application design by contributing expertise to applications, operations, and technical teams.
• Design, architect, and build databases from determining business requirements to planning and deploying test and production systems
• Administrates of PostgreSQL databases throughout the development and production lifecycles
• Design and develop logical and physical database designs from customer requirements
• Analyzes database requirements of assigned projects. Analyze and determine information needs and elements, database relationships and attributes, proposed manipulation, data flow, and storage requirements, and data output and reporting capabilities. Apply knowledge of database management systems to coordinate maintenance and changes to databases. Test and implement changes or new database designs. Write logical and physical database descriptions, including location, space, access method, and security requirements. Provide direction to programmers and analysts as required to effect changes to database management systems. Provide answers to database questions. Knowledge of and ability to troubleshoot/provide root cause analysis, restore database, monitor databases and to analyze and organize data and apply new technology designs and programs.
• Updates job knowledge by participating in educational/training/mentoring activities. Provide mentorship to group members and will be expected to help develop and support mid and junior level staff
• Accomplishes information systems and organization mission by completing related results as needed.
• Scheduled for after hours on-call support and will be required to apply production packages during non-peak hours
Database Administrator Skills and Qualifications:
Proficient in PHP, SQL, Excel, and HTML, Database Management, Data Maintenance, Decision Making, Problem Solving, OpenCart, Amazon MWS, Process Improvement, Requirements Analysis, Attention to Detail, Database Security, Developing Standards, Database Performance Tuning, Operating Systems
• Typically requires BS in CS, Engineering, Data Management degree and 8 - 12 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 6 - 10 years of prior relevant experience with database analysis/development/report design/building experience and/or as a DBA with Linux /UNIX environments including shell script development and debugging in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity is required.
• At least 3 years of experience in PostgreSQL as a Database Administrator/Architect
• At least 3 years of experience in designing database schemas.
• Expertise in MongoDB architectural knowledge and/or DBA
• Experience with database tuning to accommodate complex queries against large databases with an excess of a million records
• Experience with Oracle Database and SQL, PL-SQL programming/scripting skills
• Experience with data architecture, logical and physical design, reporting and analysis.
• Experience with interconnection of content repositories
• Knowledge of cloud services and data storage
• Must be able to interact effectively with developers, system stakeholders, and the Customer
• Strong Communication skills
• Must be US Citizen or US Permanent Resident (Green card holder)
• Must be able to obtain and maintain a US Public Trust clearance
• Experience with Database clustering
• Familiar with Database Security Accreditation processes
• Familiarity with Python, PERL, and/or Java a plus
• Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) and/or Cloud Data Warehouse