Job Requisition:Software Development Engineer
Leidos is seeking a Software Development Engineer who will be a member of a dynamic team working on the Federal Aviation Administration's En-Route Automation Modernization (ERAM) Program. ERAM is the heart of the Next Generation Air Transportation System and the pulse of the National Airspace System helping to advance our transition from a ground-based system of air traffic control to a satellite-based system of air traffic management. ERAM is vital to the future of air navigation, providing the foundational platform required for FAA to enable NextGen solutions, via modernization programs such as System Wide Information Management, Data Communications, and Automatic Dependent Surveillance- Broadcast. ERAM will provide benefits to the flying public in terms of high system availability and increased air traffic capacity.
FlightDeck is the middleware layer between the ERAM Software Applications and the operating system.
Flight Deck functions include:
• Real-Time Programming on High Availability Systems
• Multi-threaded programming
• Low Level Operating Systems Customization (Linux (RedHat), AIX)
• Low level communication software (TCP-IP, UDP, SCTP)
• Support of Common Services utilized by ERAM Application teams
• System Maintenance Concepts
• Modernizing the AT control system by improving the availability and performance of the ERAM system.
• Supporting ERAM as it continues to migrate ERAM from the AIX operating systems to Linux. Detailed knowledge of Linux OS and OS concepts desirable.
• Optimizing the experience for the flying public, Air Traffic Control, and the airline industry by improving the collaboration and decision-making capabilities of flight controllers
• Developing and maintaining the FAA air traffic control software (primarily Ada95/C++) on a UNIX/Linux platform. There are a number of support/maintenance functions that utilize PERL/PYTHON.
• Performing software development as needed for the ERAM system
• Coordinate Solutions with Systems Engineering
• Coordinate the development of new capabilities and upgrades to common services provided to the applications via the FlightDeck API
• Typically requires a Bachelor of Science degree and 8-12 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 6-10 years of prior relevant experience.
• Have experience in the SW process, process improvement, SW tracking and architecture.
• Have close working knowledge of the Software Engineering life cycle and demonstrated leadership skills through prior positions/experience is required
• Working knowledge of multiple SW languages and flexibility to learn/work with new ones.
• Interest in Operating Systems, OS behaviors, and firmware management concepts particularly on Linux desirable
• Working knowledge of SWCM tools/processes used in support of the FAA ERAM program
• Use of Unix and Configuration Management skills are required
• Trouble shooting support - effectively respond to users requests
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, analytical, and written skills
• Self-Starter and ability to multitask
• Development skills in the Linux/Unix environment
• Demonstrated customer (internal/external) interface experience through leadership positions desirable.
• Software development / Leadership experience on Air Traffic Control Systems is desired.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Software Development2000Civil
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.