Leidos is seeking a Software Development Engineer who will be a member of a dynamic team working on the Federal Aviation Administration's En-Route Automation Modernization (ERAM) Program. ERAM is the heart of the Next Generation Air Transportation System and the pulse of the National Airspace System helping to advance our transition from a ground-based system of air traffic control to a satellite-based system of air traffic management. ERAM is vital to the future of air navigation, providing the foundational platform required for FAA to enable NextGen solutions, via modernization programs such as System Wide Information Management, Data Communications, and Automatic Dependent Surveillance- Broadcast. ERAM will provide benefits to the flying public in terms of high system availability and increased air traffic capacity.
FlightDeck is the middleware layer between the ERAM Software Applications and the operating system.
FlightDeck functions include:
• Real-Time Programming on High Availability Systems
• Multi-threaded programming
• Low Level Operating Systems Customization (Linux (RedHat), AIX)
• Low level communication software (TCP-IP, UDP, SCTP)
• Support of Common Services utilized by ERAM Application teams
• System Maintenance Concepts
• Modernizing the AT control system by improving the availability and performance of the ERAM system.
• Supporting ERAM as it continues to migrate ERAM from the AIX operating systems to Linux. Detailed knowledge of Linux OS and OS concepts desirable.
• Optimizing the experience for the flying public, Air Traffic Control, and the airline industry by improving the collaboration and decision-making capabilities of flight controllers
• Developing and maintaining the FAA air traffic control software (primarily Ada95/C++) on a UNIX/Linux platform. There are a number of support/maintenance functions that utilize PERL/PYTHON.
• Performing software development as needed for the ERAM system
• Coordinate Solutions with Systems Engineering
• Coordinate the development of new capabilities and upgrade to common services provided the applications via the
• Typically requires a Bachelor of Science degree and 4-8 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 2-6 years of prior relevant experience.
• Have experience in the SW process, process improvement, SW tracking and architecture.
• Have close working knowledge of the Software Engineering life cycle and demonstrated leadership skills through prior positions/experience
• Working knowledge of multiple SW languages and flexibility to learn/work in new ones.
• Knowledge of Low Level Communication Protocols like TCP-IP, UDP, SCTP desirable
• Working knowledge of routers and switches and how to configure them desirable
• General interest in Network Engineering and demonstrated skills in troubleshooting networking issues desirable
• Strong Desire to learn Networking Engineering and Communication software on a complex system
• Strong desire to trouble shoot problems - effectively respond to users requests
• Use of Unix and Configuration Management skills are required
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, analytical, and written skills
• Self-Starter and ability to multitask
• Previous work experience on FAA ATC programs
• Have Demonstrated customer (internal/external) interface experience through leadership positions desirable.