Software Development Engineer
Leidos is seeking an Software Development Engineer who will be a member of a dynamic team working on the Federal Aviation Administration's En-Route Automation Modernization ERAM) technology, which is the heart of the Next Generation Air Transportation System and the pulse of the National Airspace System helping to advance our transition from a ground-based system of air traffic control to a satellite-based system of air traffic management. ERAM is vital to the future of air navigation, providing the foundational platform required for FAA to enable NextGen solutions, via modernization programs such as System Wide Information Management, Data Communications, and Automatic Dependent Surveillance- Broadcast.
ERAM will provide benefits for users and the flying public by increasing air traffic flow Flight Deck (FDK) functions include:
• Real-Time Programming on High Availability Systems
• Multi-threaded programming
• Low Level Operating Systems Customization (RedHat, AIX)
• Low level communication software (TCP-IP, UDP, SCTP)
• Support of Common Services utilized by ERAM Application teams
• System Maintenance Concepts
• Modernizing the AT control system by improving the availability and performance of the ERAM system.
• Supporting ERAM as it continues to migrate ERAM from the AIX operating systems to Linux. Detailed knowledge of Linux OS and OS concepts desirable.
• Optimizing the experience for the flying public, Air Traffic Control, and the airline industry by improving the collaboration and decision-making capabilities of flight controllers
• Developing and maintaining the FAA air traffic control software (primarily Ada95/C++) on a UNIX/Linux platform. There are a number of support/maintenance functions that utilize PERL/PYTHON.
• Performing software development as needed for the ERAM system
• Coordinate Solutions with Systems Engineering
• Coordinate the development of new capabilities and upgrade to common services provided the applications via the
• Typically requires a Bachelor of Science degree and 8-12 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 6-10 years of prior relevant experience.
• Have experience in the SW process, process improvement, SW tracking and architecture.
• Have close working knowledge of the Software Engineering life cycle and demonstrated leadership skills through prior positions/experience is required
• Working knowledge of multiple SW languages and flexibility to learn/work in new ones.
• Interest in Operating Systems, OS behaviors, and firmware management concepts particularly on Linux desirable
• Working knowledge of SWCM tools/processes used in support of the FAA ERAM program
• Use of Unix and Configuration Management skills are required
• Trouble shooting support - effectively respond to users requests
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, analytical, and written skills
• Self-Starter and ability to multitask
• Previous work experience on FAA ATC programs
• Development skills in the Linux/Unix environment
• Have Demonstrated customer (internal/external) interface experience through leadership positions desirable.
• Air Traffic Control development or leadership experience is desired.