Leidos is seeking an Staff Software Engineer who will be a member of a dynamic team working on the Federal Aviation Administration's En-Route Automation Modernization ERAM) technology, which is the heart of the Next Generation Air Transportation System and the pulse of the National Airspace System helping to advance our transition from a ground-based system of air traffic control to a satellite-based system of air traffic management. ERAM is vital to the future of air navigation, providing the foundational platform required for FAA to enable NextGen solutions, via modernization programs such as System Wide Information Management, Data Communications, and Automatic Dependent Surveillance- Broadcast. ERAM will provide benefits for users and the flying public by increasing air traffic flow.
ERAM Offline Problem Determination (EOPD) functions include:
The mission of EOPD is to provide the capabilities to easily and thoroughly analyze recorded data for problem determination and system analysis. System analysis uses recorded data to characterize system behavior. Problem determination uses recorded data for problem resolution and general debugging.
EOPD components include:
1. Data Management
2. Report Processing Services
3. Display Recording Playback
4. Data Reduction and Analysis Utilities
5. User Interface Processing
This is a Staff software engineering position. Specifically, you will be working on teams responsible for developing and maintaining the FAA air traffic control software. Working both as a member of a team and independently the successful candidate will be:
• Modernizing the AT control system by improving the EOPD toolset used for problem identification, complex data analysis, and reporting.
• Developing and maintaining the FAA air traffic control display software within the object oriented environment (primarily Ada95, KornShell, AWK, Perl, Java) on a UNIX/Linux platform.
• Optimizing the experience for the flying public, Air Traffic Control, and the airline industry by improving the collaboration and decision-making capabilities of flight controllers
• Performing software development as needed for the ERAM system
• Coordinating solutions with System Engineering
• Articulating user needs and requirements from high level designs
• Developing the design for the user interface framework; analyzing and designing databases within an application
• Bachelor's degrees from an accredited college in a related discipline, or equivalent experience/combined education, with 8-12 years of professional experience; or 6-10 years of professional experience with a related Master's degree. May possess a Doctorate in technical domain.
• Experience in object-oriented design and development with the Ada95, KornShell, AWK, Perl, and Java programming languages on a large-scale (>20 K-SLOC) development.
• Experience in following a documented Software Development Process.
• Experience in use of the UNIX and Linux operating systems.
• Strong integration skills.
• Strong communication skills to interface with internal and external customers.
• FAA air traffic domain knowledge.
• Working knowledge of and direct experience with EOPD. IOR, FMS transfer, and SWAC/MDX formatter knowledge desired.
• Development experience in other computer languages (Python, C, etc).