Job Requisition:Lead Fermentation Specialist
Leidos is seeking a Fermentation Specialist who will lead a production team at a manufacturing facility in Silver Spring, MD. S/he will perform duties associated with the design, start-up, evaluation, validation, and maintenance of fermentation systems as they are applied to the fermentation of prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells. Fermentation harvests will be processed and purified so that end products can be used for human vaccines and biological products.
This position is contingent upon contract award
- Plan schedules for fermentation of desired materials.
- Make recommendations for production of desired products based on research data received from research personnel.
- Responsible for all levels of fermentation, from bench scale to 400 liters.
- Responsible for process development when this is necessary prior to full-scale production.
- Responsible for optimizing growth of various prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells so that optimal yields are available for processing.
- Operate bioprocess equipment under strict adherence to cGMP, OSHA and required policies and regulations.
- Recognizes and escalates bioprocess operational risks to team lead or Manager prior to failure, to ensure safety and compliance requirements.
- Recommends and executes projects and changes to bioprocess operations to reduce risk and increase efficiency.
- Performs in-process assays to monitor process performance.
- Responsible basic trouble-shooting of technical issues and other problems encountered within the manufacturing process. Write deviation incident reports as needed.
- Carry out the manufacturing review (as delegated) of the completed batch record logbooks in a timely manner per established targets.
- Collaborate with the Quality Assurance group to fulfill quality management goals and ensure the highest quality manufacturing processes. Participates in QA training programs as required.
- Depending on the desired product, will harvest cells intact, or when desired, process cells through various stages of downstream processing using various types of equipment to accomplish this.
- Responsible for writing Standard Operating Procedures, Batch Production Records, and any other documents that are required to maintain documentation and compliance with current Good Manufacturing Practices.
- Ensure that all data is entered in records to be maintained on file for each product.
- BS degree in Engineering or the Life Sciences; 10 years’ experience operating fermentation under GMP.
- 15 total years’ experience in the biotechnology field.
- Must also have four years of managerial/supervisory experience.
- Professional knowledge of the principles and practices applicable to fermentation and downstream processing.
- Knowledge of operation of bioreactors from bench capacity to 400 liters.
- Knowledge of operation of centrifuges, ultrafiltration, and cell disruption equipment.
- Familiarity with related fields such as microbial physiology, general microbiology, microbial fermentation, mammalian cell culture, physical chemistry, and biochemistry. This knowledge could be acquired through formal course work or by experience in the field.
- Extensive knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices as applied to biological products.
- Current documented training in GMP regulations, preferred
- All proposed personnel to perform services contractor must verify employment eligibility (E-Verify) and obtain a favorable National Agency Check (NACI).
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:NACI
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist2000Health
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.