The Intelligence Group at Leidos currently has an opening for a Network Engineer to work at our Annapolis Junction location. This is an exciting opportunity to use your experience supporting an important, fast-paced, mission critical program. Please note: A TS/SCI w/ Polygraph Clearance is *required* for this role.
This individual will provide hands-on technical support for a large, complex software/network system. He/she will be responsible for supporting multiple geographically distributed systems in a complex network environment and will develop and support system engineering requests to meet operational needs in a fast-paced environment. The selected individual will provide technical expertise regarding network hardware and software selection and integration and will provide detailed planning for deployment and fielding of upgrades, to include technical support and logistics support. He/she will engineer, deploy, and maintain capabilities that are new to the environment and will develop plans, manage equipment, monitor tasking through to completion, and provide status to senior program leadership. He/she will work closely with internal leads and technical POCs in assessing the impact of system changes to the team and to the infrastructure.
The selected candidate will be responsible for server/router/firewall configuration and security management of an environment that includes networking equipment from several different manufacturers, as well as Windows/Linux servers, databases, VMware and security hardware & software. The network includes local and geographically dispersed LAN enclaves connected by WAN links. The selected individual will be part of a team that builds, maintains, troubleshoots, and develops enhancements for a large, complex set of geographically disperse Information Technology (IT) systems. He/she will ensure that resources (HW/SW) are in place to enable the team to monitor and manage the IT system infrastructure and all processes and components related to these systems (hardware and software). On a day-to-day basis, he/she will engineer solutions for expanding capacity, improving response time, and streamlining network operations throughout the internal and operational systems. He/she will monitor mission critical networks and servers, provide support to end-users, and set up, manage, and maintain security management and application performance optimization functions across internal and customer systems.
Additional responsibilities include:
• Providing network administration support for development, deployment, and problem identification and remediation of the enterprise network environment.
• Providing enterprise LAN support, working closely with the IT service provider teams to ensure customer requirements are considered and supported by the evolving LAN/WAN architecture.
• Planning and implementing IT enhancements and undertaking project work, to include configuring servers, clients, storage devices, and network components.
• Identifying and correcting WAN hardware, software, and circuit problems.
• Identifying and correcting hardware and software issues on servers, clients, and networks.
• Providing analysis on existing network and server configurations and developing plans for system enhancements.
• Examining system data and implementing enhancements to improve reliability and performance.
• Planning and managing system installs and upgrades for networks and servers (hardware and software).
• Proposing, designing, testing, and installing capabilities that are new to the environment.
• Developing detailed plans and validating equipment and parts needed to support the plans.
• Providing written and in-person status reports to senior leadership.
• Overseeing the development and maintenance of technical data such as rack elevations, installation instructions, and other as built designs.
• Contributing to the development and quality assurance of related CDRLs when necessary.
• Providing technical assistance to companion work groups in support of overlapping projects.
• Bachelor's Degree in a related technical field and 4-8 years of experience. Three (3) years of relevant professional experience may be substituted for a Bachelor's Degree.
• Candidates must possess strong analytic abilities and must be meticulous and careful in their work.
• Must have experience providing direct assistance to users.
• Must have experience providing analysis, root cause diagnosis, and trouble-shooting for routers and firewalls.
• Must have experience with Linux and/or Windows and Cisco Systems.
• Must have experience with various vendor networking products (switches, routers, firewalls, etc.).
• Must possess excellent written and communication skills.
• Must be committed to adopting and adhering to best practices including compliance with maintenance windows and change control procedures.
• Must be an independent thinker capable of working proficiently independently as well as within a team.
• Must be able to support planned, after hours activities on occasion and may be responsible for providing after-hours support for network administration, operations, and maintenance problems on occasion.
• Some travel may be required.
• Experience with Data Center design and configuration (e.g. rack and stack, power, placement, etc.) a plus.