Job Requisition:Senior Storage Engineer/Architect
The Government Health and Safety Solutions operation is seeking a Senior Storage Engineer/Architect, contingent upon contract award, in White Oak, MD.
The Senior Storage Engineer will manage and improve all storage solutions including physical SAN, NAS, DAS, Object, and cloud storage.
This position serves as lead storage administrator in the design, implementation and management of the storage environment. The candidate is responsible for configuring storage area network architecture. The lead determines how the SAN is logically created, which components are used, data storage and retrieval frameworks, device/host interconnectivity and other parameters/components essential for a SAN.
• Lead and team member of a 15 person IT Systems team delivering rapid solutions supporting a world-wide IT infrastructure.
• Responsible for managing the infrastructure that supports 2000+ servers (internal and customer facing), 9PB of storage and all server compute infrastructure.
• NetApp, Dell EMC CX4 series and VMAX storage devices.
• Support the backup and recovery team to ensure all data is successfully backed up.
The Datacenter Contract supports the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) organizations to provide critical work to safeguard the foods, drugs, devices, biologics, and veterinary products that the Agency regulates. The datacenter supports systems that continue to evolve to meet emerging business needs and to support new mandates and initiatives. It is important to respond to customer needs and issues. The Data Storage and SAN Architect position is a highly visible position to ensure the network architecture is sized, scaled for the future, and structured to provide high availability to meet the service level agreements for the FDA customer. The person in this position will work directly with the FDA senior leadership team and the Leidos Health Systems program leadership team to ensure success of all aspects of the program including vendor recommendations and solutions, cloud architectures, and other network support responsibilities in a large scale datacenter environment. This position is contingent upon contract award.
Specific roles & responsibilities for the Data Storage & SAN Architect position include but not limited to the following:
• Provide architectural and resource planning support
• Drive the integration of legacy IT infrastructure resource with Cloud and other modern technologies/architectures to more effectively meet tactical and strategic requirements
• Provide experience building and evolving enterprise-like systems for FDA meeting compliance and systems security requirements while delivering timely, high-available solutions for mission requirements
• Works alongside the program manager and other datacenter management to determine the technical goals of the program and works with program stakeholders to refine those goals into executable objectives.
• Act as the point person for critical issues that affect the storage, compute and virtual infrastructure
• Evolve the large SAN, VMware vSphere and Cisco UCS infrastructure to meet the growing demands of the company
• Maintain and enhance scripts that automate the provisioning of high volumes of VMs, VM hosts and SAN LUNs
• Identify performance bottlenecks and implement fixes accordingly
• Streamline the server build, firmware patch and storage provisioning process Evaluates the engineering costs to identify efficiencies and improved ways of delivering service to the customer.
• Negotiates with stakeholders (Vendors, Customer, etc.) to generate ideas and clarify specifications.
• Delegates tasks as necessary to engineering team and maintains accountability for results.
• Builds strong professional working relationships with stakeholders to resolves disputes, define technical solutions, and drive positive change within the program.
• The ideal candidate may have multiple people supporting them but will be required to work with external stakeholders to achieve program objectives. This would include the issues, risks, dependencies, and making sure action plans are documented and executed accordingly.
• Be responsible for working with the customer and external stakeholders (industry leaders, vendors, etc.) to accomplish program goals in which we are dependent on them completing tasks.
• This position requires strong written and verbal communication skills, with ability to effectively brief FDA government customers.
• Performs technical planning, system integration, verification and validation, cost and risk, and supportability and effectiveness analyzes for total systems across the FDA network.
• Assist in the planning and performing of analytical research, design development, and other assignments in conformance with design, engineering and customer specifications.
• Must be a self-starter, strong leader, and have the ability to work independently with no supervision.
• Some travel (< 20%) may be required.
• B.S. in Computer Science or a Related Field is required
• 8+ years of data center engineering experience
- Cisco CCNP Data Center Certification or
- SNIA (Storage Networking Industry Association) Certification (e.g. SCSA, SCSE)
- Specific Vendor Backup Administrator Certifications from two or more industry vendors (e.g. Dell EMC, NetApp, Pure, Dell EMC, HPE/3PAR, Hitachi, Brocade, Mellanox)
• Solid storage area network (SAN) experience supporting multiple arrays (NetApp, EMC VNX, EMC Isilon, EMC Data Domain, Compellent). Should have a good understanding of Fibre Channel and iSCSI. Automates SAN operations such as LUN (de)provisioning and snapshot management
• Required to have 1+ years of experience automating complex tasks using tools such as PowerShell, PowerCLI, UCS PowerTools, Posh-SSH, Git, Python, Chef, or Puppet. Experience working with REST APIs is a plus.
• Experience with large-scale virtualization (1000-5000+ VM) environments using technologies such as VMware vCenter, vSAN, vROps, vRealize Orchestrator, vLog Insight and PowerCli.
• Support the automated infrastructure that deploys hundreds of VMs per month by implementing PowerShell, Infoblox, Group Policy, Sysprep and vCenter customizations
• Strong Windows server experience as it relates to storage provisioning and Microsoft Clustering
• One or more related certifications such as EMC EMCISA, EMCSA, NetApp, VMware VCAP, HPE
• Experience supporting incident management, problem management, and integrating new technologies into these processes.
• FDA customer experience and knowledge of their organizational structure
• Demonstrated Cloud deployment models and related experience (Private/Public/Hybrid cloud)
- AWS, MS Azure, or other cloud technologies and advanced ITIL certifications
- Solid verbal and written communication skills, and team working skills
- Can manage large scale projects
- Experience with Software Defined Storage is a bonus.
- Agile development knowledge and framework
- Microsoft Technology Certifications (Operating Systems)
- VMware Certifications
- Linux Certifications
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Network Administration and Ops2000Health
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.