Are you interested in improving and shaping the transportation industry? Leidos leads and operates USDOT's research and development of new technologies to improve the safety, operation, and efficiency of the nation's transportation system. We're looking for a dynamic Software Development Scrum Master to be a key part of a team of software Engineers/developers, electrical engineers and transportation engineers developing next generation applications, software code, and components in support of transportation research, including connected vehicles in McLean, VA.
We are part of a larger research team in a dynamic and energetic laboratory environment that performs research and development on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) for the FHWA, including work with connected and automated vehicles (CAV). This work involves development and maintenance of various back end systems for such things as roadside data collection and storage, web mapping tools, communications and data transfer, and data analysis, as well as work on vehicle on-board software for automation and connectivity. However, the intention is that this position will primarily focus on leading agile development teams as a Scrum Master.
The Software Development Scrum Master supports and enforces the scrum process supporting the development of systems for CAV in support of the Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration Turner Fairbanks High Research Center (DOT FHWA TFHRC) mission.
You will work closely with the Senior Project Manager, Senior Software Engineer, software engineers, and other supporting engineers on the following key tasks:
• Facilitate Daily Stand-Ups, Sprint Planning, Refinement, Retrospectives, and other related team and cross-team meetings
• Assist in facilitating Sprint Demos
• Lead software development project teams while managing risks, escalating impediments, and helping to drive continuous process improvement.
• Participate in Scrum of Scrums
• Maintain information radiators and track metrics for the teams, including velocity and burndown charts in order to drive team improvement
• Assist the Product Owner in driving stories to a ready state in preparation for the upcoming Sprint and the next Release
• Ensure that the team has a clear and common understanding of the work that needs to be done, and that the work items reflect this
• Ensure that work items are right-sized and meet the INVEST criteria
• Work with the team and Product Owner to maintain a prioritized and prepared backlog, plan upcoming Releases, and assist the team in drafting acceptance criteria and test plans
• Communicate the status of progress and impediments to internal and external stakeholders
• Facilitate cross-team coordination, tracking and following up on external dependencies
• Protect the team and minimize disruptions
• Remove impediments to the team's ability to perform by working closely with the team and stakeholders, including Product Owners, Management, other teams and Scrum Masters, and the RTE
• Work with multiple feature development teams to meet both sprint and release commitments and milestones.
• Lead and facilitate peer code reviews
• Manage source code (e.g. gitlab) requests such as merges, branching, and tagging; work with configuration management, assess unit tests, etc.
• Own the scrum lifecycle, which includes managing progress blockers, removing impediments, communicating progress to plans and coaching teams to correctly apply agile development principles.
• Forecast the number of deliverables possible in an iteration, which is based on evidence and reliable source.
• Contribute to the feature team's design, development, documentation and testing of new enhancements to the system.
• Lead and mentor more junior members of the team in agile development process and the performance of project tasks.
To be successful in this role you need these skills (required):
• BS in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent experience with at least 8+ years in software engineering/development - developing software applications (6+ years with a MS/MIS Degree)
• Previous experience leading a software team, engaging stakeholders, contributors and technical resources to analyze user needs and resource limitations
• At least 2+ years' experience as scrum master for software development team
• Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust clearance
• Experience/knowledge of key Agile processes and techniques (especially Scrum, Kanban)
• Experience with facilitating scrum for the team (Planning, Retrospective, Grooming & Review/Demo)
• Experience providing scrum reports (burndown charts, velocity, etc.)
• Experience with Gitlab (workflow), JIRA, and Confluence
• Ability to track and produce key metrics
• Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines.
• Need significant experience in software design, development, documentation, integration, debugging and testing.
• Software development/coding experience with programming languages such as C++, Java and Python
• Experience in a Linux Ubuntu, Red Hat and Centos environment
• Ability to work well with people from many different disciplines with varying degrees of technical experience
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to multi-task and work in a dynamic, fast-pace environment.
• Scrum Alliance Scrum Master Certification (CSM)
• SAFe Agilist or other SAFe Certification
• Strong knowledge of DevOps tools and processes (especially CircleCI and SonarQube)
• Experience working with distributed teams