Job Requisition:Research Scientist / Electrical Engineer
No two career paths will ever look the same. At Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse IT and engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself. We welcome your perspective and ideas, in order to foster collaboration and deliver world-class solutions. We look for solutions that not only transform businesses, but change the world.
Our Civil business is helping to modernize and manage infrastructure, systems and controls, and cybersecurity for civilian agencies and commercial clients around the globe. With core competencies in information technology, energy and environment, complex logistics, and specialized engineering, we solve technical challenges and implement newfound efficiencies on a number of programs!
Protect yourself and your family, with the benefits of working for a world-class employer. When you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute’s “World's Most Ethical Companies”
This Electrical Engineer is directly related to the Work For Others (WFO) activity entitled “Enabling Magnetics for Solid State Transformers.” The Electrical Engineer will be a part of the RSS contract at NETL in Pittsburgh, PA. This position will have significant growth in the upcoming years at NETL.
Background and research initiative:
- Emerging soft magnetic materials and advanced components will play an increasingly important role in the modernization of the electricity transmission and distribution system.
- Iron core losses in distribution transformers represent a significant fraction of losses.
- Goal is global optimization within the design space of core materials and transformer geometry.
- Full “co-optimization” with integration between the finite element modeling of magnetic components and Matlab Simulink PLECS-based circuit design packages.
- Long-term objective is to develop a suite of new tools and applications for advanced magnetic component design integrated with converter design methodologies.
- Developed tools will enable more modular and standardized solid-state transformer (SST) design processes, which will enable collaborations with industry and academia.
- Advanced computational tools are ultimately limited by the quality of the model inputs. Experimental efforts will be pursed on measurement of core materials and fabricated core component properties.
Under this activity, NETL will characterize the following:
- Commercially available magnetic cores.
- Selected magnetic cores requested by the sponsor for other funded projects under application relevant and practical square wave excitation conditions
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Developing new research approaches and best practices in magnetic properties of electrical engineering.
- Review existing literature data on the current state of supporting the testing of new and commercially available magnetic cores.
- Prepare technical reports on project scope, milestones and conference/workshop presentations to disseminate research findings, activities, operations, and future initiatives to industry, academic and government stakeholders is a requirement for this position.
- An update will be due by the end of each week briefly describing the accomplishments from that week and the next week’s forecast.
- An update will be due by the end of the quarter briefly describing that quarter’s accomplishments. (High level document)
- Participate in group meetings. Group meetings are designed to allow the applicant to discuss current research and promote discussion with fellow researchers. The manager will request the applicant to provide a PowerPoint presentation for group meetings. The frequency of these presentations is generally once every 6 months but can occur at a higher rate.
- This position will require extensive interface with customers and potential collaborative partners, so excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. The complexity of information to be managed will require excellent organization skills and attention to detail.
- An experienced electrical engineer with a BS in electrical engineering and 5+ years related experience, is sought to provide support for advanced core loss test system (CLTS) design, build, and applications.
- The candidate will understand circuit design and analysis.
- The candidate will have the ability to perform designs with Comsol and Matlab Simulink PLECS-based circuits and other power electronics simulation packages.
The candidate should be familiar with:
- Si-based and SiC-based Metal–Oxide–Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor (MOSFET) and Insulated-Gate Bipolar Transistor (IGBT) devices and gate drivers.
- Designing and applying electronics and electrical test equipment including oscilloscopes with current and voltage probes, Digital signal processing (DSP) controllers with PWM capability, impedance measurement systems, LCR meters, network analyzers, function generators, and other power electronics instruments.
- Distribution class, medium voltage converters, such as multi-level converters.
- Familiarity with distribution class, medium voltage converters, such as multi-level converters.
- 7 years of experience in electrical engineering.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist2000Civil
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.