Leidos is searching for a Network Engineer to provide support to the Super Migration Gateway Project. Must be located within the United States.
This is an exciting opportunity to use your experience helping the Infrastructure Operations Services Support (IOSS) mission. The mission of Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), Office of Information & Technology (OI&T), Information Technology (IT) Operations and Services (ITOPS), Infrastructure Operations (IO) is to support One VA world-class service to Veterans and their families by delivering results-oriented, secure, highly available and cost-effective information technology services. IO support helps to provide critical services focusing on consistent availability of Veteran-facing applications and quick delivery of benefits for Veterans.
The Network Engineer plans, supports and evaluates complex existing network systems and make recommendations for resources required to maintain and/or expand service levels. Must posses technical and functional expertise, there is no direct report supervisory responsibility with this role.
- Provide highly skilled technical assistance in network planning, engineering and architecture.
- Provides and develops technical standards and interface applications; identifies and evaluates new products; provide solutions for network problems. Interfaces with internal/external customers and vendors to determine system needs.
- Plans and incorporates how new network resources and applications will exist on the network.
- Reports monthly metrics for network availability and bandwidth usage as well as other metrics as requested.
- Responsible for network capacity planning. Use network management tools to discover, map and maintain the network.
- Responsible for network equipment OS and version upgrades.
- Responsible for conducting research of new technologies and implementation strategies.
- Monitor and maintain network interfaces to insure its highest level of performance and makes modifications and enhancements as needed.
- Documenting procedures and keeping network diagrams and related material up to date.
- Handle escalated user problems, questions, and request on network issues.
- Work with other groups within IS to resolve network related issues as needed.
- Leads and directs work of other Network Engineers.
- Performs work consistent with directives, policies, standards and regulations.
- Configure and install various network devices and services (e.g., routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers, VPN, QoS) Perform network maintenance and system upgrades including service packs, patches, hot fixes and security configurations Monitor performance and ensure system availability and reliability Monitor system resource utilization, trending, and capacity planning Provide Level-2/3 support and troubleshooting to resolve issues Work within established configuration and change management policies to ensure awareness, approval and success of changes made to the network infrastructure Select and implement security tools, policies, and procedures in conjunction with the company's security team Works with customer and other IT personnel for problem resolution
- Bachelor's from an accredited college in a Computer Science, Electronics Engineering or other engineering or technical discipline is required with 5 years of professional experience; or 8 years of additional relevant experience may be substituted for education.
- US citizen
- Ability to obtain Public Trust Clearance
Key skills required for this position.
- Experience with Super Migration Gateway Support (SMGW)
- Experience with Software Engineering Support, SMGW Help Desk Support and Lifecycle Replacement Services
- Proven hands-on network engineering experience
- Deep understanding of network protocols
- Hands-on experience with monitoring, network diagnostic and network analytics tools
- Strong independent thinking and problem-solving skills
- Highly motivated and adaptable