Job Requisition:C-130 Structural Engineer
Leidos is seeking a C-130 Structural Engineer to support engineering modifications to support the Royal Saudi Air Force (RSAF) in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Candidates must possess a Secret security clearance in order to be considered. The C-130 Structural Engineer will be part of the Contractor Engineering and Technical Support team in support of a US Air Force Foreign Military Sales (FMS) program to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. This is a one-year assignment with option to renew.
- Provide advice and prepare guidelines on engineering matters
- Create engineering drawing using 3-D and 2D design software. Produce design data as required for the manufacture and assembly of aircraft structures and systems. Research and review engineering data (drawings, reports, manuals, etc.) defining aircraft structure or systems in support of design work.
- Support other Engineering groups as workload requirements dictate. Develop expertise on aircraft design concepts, industry design standards, regulations and drafting techniques consistent with workload environment.
- Review and recommend RSAF authorizations of engineering modifications. Progress approval of improvement initiatives through external deign organizations and technical authorities.
- Evaluate and perform cost benefit analysis of improvement initiatives.
- Create original designs and supervise embodiment of modifications to existing systems (aircraft and ground equipment)
- Design repairs for damaged aircraft structure consistent with Military Specifications (MILSPEC) and industry standards. Produce detailed drawings and identify skillset, tools, equipment and materials to accomplish those repairs.
- Provide training to RSAF counterparts and instruct technicians in the correct techniques to be adopted in carrying out repairs. Play an active part in the RSAF self sufficiency program by participating in the establishment of a training program for SRSAF personnel, including on-the-job training and the preparation and teaching of classroom courses in engineering functions.
- Perform stress analysis (e.g. to substantiate integrity of repaired structure) and provide advice on matters relating ot aircraft stressing.
- Perform integration, test and instructional tasks.
- Investigate aircraft systems related problems affecting fleet performance and devise innovative solution. Monitor test programs and evaluate test data to identify problems and
- /or to verify performance.
- Participate in accident investigations. Co nduct damage assessments on aircraft following incidents and produce reports on the findings. Evaluate and provide recommendations on major defect and aircraft incident reports.
- Design support equipment for local manufacture e.g. transport dollies, stands, racks.
- Perform evaluation and studies. Participate in research, development and implementation of programs to improve safety, reliability and maintainability.
- Develop system testing procedures and documentation to verify performance or specification requirements. Participate in acceptance testing of aircraft & equipment.
- Prepare staff correspondence to organizations internal and external to the RSAF
- Support RSAF officers at meetings and participate in design and program management reviews.
- Travel as necessary, by military aircraft if required, in accomplishment of the task.
- Undertake other tasks within the jobholders experience and capabilities, as directed by the AES Commander.
- Work emanates from the Aeronautical Engineering Squadron Commander who will approve tasks and continually monitor performance on a daily basis
- The jobholder provides independent advice directly to the RSAF without any consultation with his/her. Line Manager. The jobholder is in constant daily contact with the RSAF providing them with a recognizable point of contact for all RSAF aircraft structural engineering issues.
- The jobholder is required to project manage engineering modification projects. Consequently, a large proportion of time will be . spent proactively planning and organising resources within the RSAF to ensure tasks are completed to meet project timescales, which often are dependencies for other projects.
- The jobholder must plan for the involvement of other agencies from within the RSAF and its associated programs. Responsive to RSAF inputs and requirements, both immediate and long term is essential with the RSAF demanding the highest quality in all cases. The jobholder must rationalise all inputs and coordinate outputs to achieve maximum co- operation and support.
- As an independent advisor to the RSAF the jobholder occupies a digital post, but will directly lead teams of engineers and specialists as required by the task.
- The jobholder will be required to produce engineering drawings, engineering reports, test plans and Time Compliance Technical Orders in detail from data which he will be responsible for defining and collecting. Verbal briefings and presentations on the above will be given to the AES Commander on a daily basis.
- The jobholder must comply with all RSAF safety directives and instructions
- A great deal of the success achieved will be dictated by the relationships established with customers and ability to use initiative, engineering and management skills to satisfy RSAF requirements. Diplomacy, tact, flexibility and adaptability are required along with a flair for rapid and accurate appraisal of problems. The jobholder must always remain aware of the varied cultural and political nuances when dealing with customers from many nations.
- The jobholder is required to create original designs for engineering solutions that demand imaginative innovation and extensive planning.
- The jobholder is required to be flexible to deal with a wide range of problems with rapidly changing priorities emanating from a number of different sources. The jobholder is required to act under his/her own initiative, developing a sound understanding of RSAF requirements, which are often not fully defined. The · jobholder must have excellent organisational qualities to meet these challenges.
- Although not a budget holder by providing advice on procurement and policy at a senior level the individual is responsible for ensuring the RSAF receives the most cost effective support and 'value for money'.
- The jobholder must be fully aware of the different Government to Government (Foreign Military Sales) and Direct Funding mechanisms for RSAF projects
- Engineering Mechanical/ Degree Aeronautical BEng (Hons) Engineering. in Structural Engineering or related discipline e.g. . Mechanical/Aeronautical Engineering
- Master's Degree or higher and Chartered Engineer status is desirable.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in aircraft structural design engineering.
- Active Secret clearance required
- Excellent knowledge of standard aircraft component, materials, composites, metals, fabrication practices, aviation hardware, integration and proper applications in design with a thorough understanding of the use and application of aircraft technical data.
- Possess knowledge of engineering principles used in stress analysis, 3D computer modelling and other analytical substantiation techniques. Experience utilizing CAD software and /or 3D modelling software with obvious and demostratable proficiency.
- Experience in senior engineering management with a thorough knowledge of engineering authority processes.
- A working knowledge of international regulation and policy for military and civil aviation as well as International Trade in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Practical knowledge of workshop practices and procedures. ·
- A basic understanding of aircraft systems, their function and operation.
- A broad appreciation of military aircraft design with specific experience in the design and development of aircraft structural engineering projects. The aircraft structural applications will be the focus of knowledge for fatigue index analysis, structural integrity inspections modifications and updates, and engineering analysis of aircraft platforms.
- Able to develop and integrate concepts that involve requirements, design, prototyping, production, testing, training and logistics support in all phases of the weapon system life cycle, including all aspects of technical program that involve trade-off of performance, life-cycle cost, risk, producibility, supportability, testability and other engineering requirements. Possess knowledge of engineering principles used in stress analysis, 3D computer modelling and other analytical substantiation techniques.
- Good written and verbal communication skills in the English language. Strong leadership qualities with proven interpersonal and team working skills.
- Computer literate and an experienced user of AutoCAD and the Microsoft Office suite of programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Project).
- Knowledge of aviation quality systems airworthiness airframe engineering aircraft control systems aircraft avionic systems design engineering manufacturing project/program management, systems engineering, test engineering and aircraft systems integration.
- A good all round awareness of RSAF processes and procedures.
- A good all round awareness of RSAF programs, Suppliers, OEM, Government to Government Standard Agencies, International Standards Agencies and Academic/Research establishments.
- User of Computer Aided Design (CAD) programs such as CATIA, SolidWorks, etc.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Structural Engineering2000Defense
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.