Job Requisition:International Space Station Flight Controller
Leidos is looking for an International Space Station Flight Controller (NASA ISS) to join the team in our Houston, TX. The Flight Controller will support the Trajectory Software Group and the Flight Dynamics Division within the Flight Operations Directorate, at the Johnson Space Center. This group produces software tools that support trajectory analysis and real-time operations for multiple NASA programs, including ISS, Exploration (SLS and Orion), Commercial Cargo, and Commercial Crew.
This position requires shift work (nights, weekends, and holidays). Duties will require successfully completing training and skill certification process, along with obtaining and passing a Flight Controller Physical.
The Flight Controller's primary job responsibility will be to work with the Core Operations Mission Planning and Analysis Spacecraft Simulation (COMPASS) Project team. The COMPASS space vehicle trajectory simulation, which is a “hybrid simulation” written in both C++ and Python, allows Flight Dynamics personnel to develop and model a wide variety of spacecraft and then predict trajectory performance in all flight phases -- including launch, orbit, and reentry. A flight controller needs to be equally at home using aerospace domain knowledge to develop software requirements, and using programming skills to meet those requirements. The flight controller will work as a member of a small team in a dynamic environment.
Duties will include:
- Use aerospace knowledge and understanding of requirements for models of space vehicle hardware and flight software to develop and test those models.
- Using aerospace skills to interpret results, and generate software documentation.
- Communicating and coordinating with internal and external organizations, including interfacing with the NASA customer on a daily basis.
- A Bachelor of Science in Engineering (ABET) plus a minimum of 10 years related experience (may consider less experience for the right candidate). An aerospace engineering background with previous experience in trajectory simulation, math modeling, and spacecraft dynamics.
- Experience in launch vehicle trajectory GN&C design is highly desirable including experience in model development and simulation architecture.
- Aerospace engineering background with experience in C++ and Python.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, leadership, teamwork, technical, and administrative skills are mandatory.
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment that requires him/her to work effectively both alone or as part of a team.
- Ability to plan, lead, and coordinate a wide range of tasks.
- Experience in Linux, and object-oriented design.
This position requires successful completion of a government background check before commencement of employment. If you are not a United States Citizen or Green Card holder, the background check could take 12 to 18 months to complete.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Aerospace Engineering-Civil
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.