Are you interested in improving and shaping the transportation industry? Leidos leads the USDOT's research and development of new technologies to improve the safety, operation, and efficiency of the nation's transportation system. We're looking for someone motivated by variety, is seeking a challenging environment for professional growth, and will be a key part of a team of developers writing and extending a variety of applications and components in support of transportation research. The successful candidate will have an ability to perform a variety of duties surrounding V2X technology as well as quickly adapt to research and development (R&D) solutions.
Leidos is hiring a Senior Software Engineer in McLean, Virginia, as part of a team of researchers in deployment of the latest automated vehicle technology as a key part of the Leidos team supporting the Federal Highway Administration's (FHWA's) cutting-edge research at Turner Fairbank Highway Research Center (TFHRC). The role will be a leader in software development as part of a larger research team developing new connected and automated technologies for FHWA. This work involves development and maintenance of various back end systems for such things as roadside data collection and storage, web mapping tools, communications and data transfer, and data analysis, as well as work on vehicle on-board software for automation and connectivity. The successful candidate will be looked to mentor junior staff and may be asked to manage small projects as the organization and contractual situation evolves.
• Responsible for developing software, primarily using C++
• Technical interaction and discussion with customer and in-house development teams
• Design and Document software components for maximum efficiency
• Development of a suitable project-specific software architecture in conjunction with software platform and re-use requirements
• Additional duties to include: RSE testing, automated test planning and development, software integration, system testing, and user documentation.
• Build and maintain trust with key FHWA stakeholders to facilitate communication on R&D priorities.
Required Education, Skills, and Experience:
• BS in computer science, engineering or other science discipline
• 4+ years full-time professional experience in development
• Excellent experience with C++ and C/C# in a Real Time Linux environment
• Experience working with Java, Python, SQL, Windows
• Direct experience with Dedicated Short Range Communications (DSRC)
• Experience in analysis of wireless, RF and communications/cellular or satellite network performance
• Experience developing to standards. Familiarity with SAE and NTCIP
• Knowledge of Wireless Communication Systems & Methods and Wireless connectivity site evaluation
• Understanding of communication protocols - TCP/UDP, SNMP
• Working knowledge of UML design language
• Experience developing data interfaces and documenting Interface Control Documentation (ICD)
• Ability to obtain a Public Trust Clearance
ADDITIONAL DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
• Experience with ROS
• Hands-on experience developing code with Unity/HTC Vive
• Network design, configuration and maintenance
• Wireless communications, including cellular and WiFi
• Knowledge of IP concepts, techniques and common practices (e.g. working with sockets, internal vs external IP addressing, routing, etc)
• Experience with Git, Maven and Gradle
• Knowledge in any of the following: ITS applications, transportation systems, performing channel loading analysis, test planning and execution, IEEE and other related standards