Job Requisition:Grid Integration Researcher
This posting seeks a post-doctoral researcher dedicated to research and development of power electronics applications for interfacing solid oxide fuel cell (SOFC) systems and utility grids at the National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL). NETL is a multi-disciplinary, scientific and technical-oriented national laboratory that is the U.S. Department of Energy’s primary lab supporting fossil fuel-based energy research.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- The scientist/researcher will collaborate on an interdisciplinary team spanning industry, academic, and national laboratory partners that seeks to study interactions between SOFC and power conditioning systems and to research novel methods to optimize SOFC system operations with emerging power electronics and power conversion applications.
- The candidate should be capable of researching within the team to (1) analyze and investigate potential interactions between SOFC systems and power conditioning systems, (2) design and simulate power electronics systems for grid integration, and (3) design the controller for the power electronics system for mitigating disturbances from utility grids to SOFC systems for optimal SOFC operations. The candidate should be capable of leveraging analytical control design methods and power electronics simulations tools.
The candidate should also meet the following key requirements:
- Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Applied Physics, Materials Science, or a related field and less than 2 years prior relevant experience.
- Experience with designing and implementing controllers for single- and three-phase inverters.
- Experience with MATLAB/Simulink/PLECS simulation tools or other power electronics simulation packages.
- Experience with Si-based and SiC-based MOSFET and IGBT devices and gate drivers.
- An understanding of circuit design and analysis.
- Experience with designing and applying electronics and electrical test equipment including oscilloscopes with current and voltage probes, DSP controllers with PWM capability, impedance measurement systems, LCR meters, network analyzers, function generators, and other power electronics instruments.
- A PhD in Electrical Engineering, Applied Physics, Materials Science, or a related field is preferred.
- It is preferred that the candidate is familiar with distribution class, medium voltage converters, such as multi-level converters.
TERM OF COMMITMENT: These research positions are intended to be term positions, with varying levels of commitment that are not expected to last longer than 2 years. Candidates will be informed prior to applying what length of commitment is anticipated. Also, candidates who successfully fill a term position, may be invited to apply for an additional terms. Nothing in this paragraph is intended to create an employment contract. Employment will remain at will.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist2000Civil
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.