The Intelligence Group of Leidos is currently seeking a Geologist for our Reston, VA location.
The successful candidate will provide daily broad-based understanding of geological and geotechnical engineering disciplines in a defense environment; will have experience in drilling, core logging, mining, tunnel construction and design, trenchless technology, rock mass characterization and intelligence analysis skills.
In this role, you will support a multi-disciplined team that develops methodologies, processes, and technological applications for characterizing, modeling and assessing underground facilities and WMD threats to support full dimensional defeat planning and combat operations; conduct research and writing of geological characterizations and similar technical reports along with performing field research at sites throughout the U.S. and worldwide. We are seeking a strong and diverse background in geology, geotechnical/mining engineering or engineering geology should include experience in some combination of field/tunnel/mine mapping, drilling and core logging, field geophysical surveys, directional drilling and oil/gas exploration and rock mechanics/testing. The selected candidate will also have a good background in GIS, computer modeling and programming (MATLAB). Work will be performed in a fast-paced, high-energy environment inside a government facility.
• Use exploitation products, intelligence resources and geological/geotechnical expertise to produce intelligence to characterize selected sites.
• Provide geological/geotechnical guidance and judgment throughout the characterization process to produce accurate intelligence estimates.
• Work within a matrixed team to include intelligence & imagery analysts, geologists, and engineers to translate characterization analysis to construct Underground Targeting & Analysis System (UTAS)/ Integrated Munitions Effects Assessment (IMEA) 3-D models for weaponeering.
• Brief senior officials regarding capability trends and analysis.
• Must hold a minimum of an active Top Secret clearance.
• Bachelor's Degree in an Engineering Geology, Geology or Mining/Geotechnical Engineering discipline with 8-12 years of experience conducting geotechnical research and field collection, or a Master's degree with 6-10 years of experience.
• Strong background in geomechanics, computer modeling, field geophysics and tunnel/slope rock mass characterization geotechnical engineering.
• Familiar with Geospatial Information Systems (GIS) and MATLAB.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to successfully brief and interact with Senior Officials.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-energy environment.
• Military or defense-related experience and an understanding of operational planning and functional defeat of hard targets and underground facilities.
• Candidate must be eligible to obtain a TS/SCI w/ CI poly clearance.
• An active and current TS/SCI and CI Poly
• Professional Geologist accreditation a plus
• Military targeting experience.