This is where your legacy begins!
The Leidos Innovations Center currently has an opening for a Scientist / Senior Scientist - Biology to work in our San Diego, California office. We are seeking a broadly trained and highly motivated biologist for advanced technology programs focused on molecular biology, biochemistry, and genetics / genomics. This is a highly dynamic and integrative environment in which talented and creative scientists can thrive working on a diverse array of multidisciplinary projects. The group has an immediate need for someone with strong Genetics/Molecular Biology skills and experience in Synthetic and Cell biology-based data generation and analysis.
Contribute to the development of novel applications in support of government-funded efforts in the areas of protein expression, synthetic and systems biology.
- Develop novel molecular and genomics-based methods for the detection of biological and/or chemical signatures and threats.
- Lead and/or support on-going and future efforts to characterize changes in multiple-omics profiles under different conditions.
- Effectively communicate research in team meetings, progress reports, peer-reviewed publications, and patents.
- Quickly adapt to evolving research needs, rapidly acquire new scientific knowledge and stay informed on new technologies.
- Work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary team consisting of biologists, chemists, mathematicians, statisticians, and engineers. Lead Candidates should follow sound scientific practices and maintain effective documentation of activities and analyses.
Skills you need to be successful:
- A Ph.D. in Biology, or related discipline with 5 years of technical experience (technical experience can be obtained through schooling) or a Master's degree with at least 10 years of relevant experience (technical experience obtained through schooling can be counted towards total years of experience).
- U.S. Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret Security Clearance
- Laboratory skills: Cloning, mutagenesis, nucleic acid (RNA and DNA) extraction/purification, PCR / quantitative PCR, CRISPR-based genome editing, protein engineering and expression
- Team oriented with excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to interact with people from diverse areas and disciplines
You will wow us even more if you have these skills:
- Experience in culturing cell lines and bacterial strains
- Genome editing using modern tools, such as CRISPR/Cas9
- Synthetic Biology experience
- Protein expression, purification and characterization
- Protein engineering
- RNA-based therapeutics
- Experience with sample preparation methods for NGS
- Experience with DNA structure and dynamics interrogation, including epigenetic-based analyses
- Possess US government Security Clearance
External Referral Program