Leidos currently has an opening for an Arabic Linguist supporting the Defense group. The linguist will be assigned to a defense legal team conducting interviews of detainee and witnesses for court rooms and case preparation for the Military Commissions hearings held in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
The linguist will provide interpretation, translation, and transcription of discovery material. Place of performance shall vary with requirements. A significant amount of the work will occur at the Office of Military Commissions (OMC) deployed facility at US Naval Station, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and some other overseas locations. Additional work shall be performed on site at the OMC facilities in the National Capital Region.
- The Linguist will be assigned to specific legal defense team performing various functions including but not limited to:
- Review general and technical source material in the target language to prepare accurate written translations, and/or transcriptions in idiomatic English.
- Linguists will provide interpretation, translation, and transcription support to include assisting defense counsels with interviews of detainees and witnesses.
- Able to interpret in the consecutive mode required by the setting and reproduce the original message after the speaker or signer pauses, such as in the "question and answer" mode in which the speaker completes his statement and the interpreter begins to interpret after the statement is completed.
- Able to translate the full meaning of a written text from one language to another. Provide accurate and thorough translations from English into a foreign language or from a foreign language into English of documents as provided by the defense legal teams.
- Able to transcribe audio/video discovery material into English.
- Requires a BA/BS degree and a minimum of 4+ years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 2+ years of prior relevant experience. Additional experience or formal military training may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- Must currently possess an active DoD TS/SCI security clearance.
- Ability to achieve a minimum score of an Inter-agency Language Round table (ILR) 3 in respective foreign language and 3 in English for Reading, Listening, Speaking, and Writing (proctored exam through 3rd party vendor, Alta) prior to offer.
- Demonstrated history of working on translation projects and in maintaining the integrity and meaning of the translated material.
- Ability to conduct and prepare accurate translation, and/or transcriptions of general and technical legal materials.
- Ability to write and speak in a clear, concise, and professional manner in the specified foreign language and English.
- Ability to provide written translation of documents with error free in a gist, detailed summary, or full translation format utilizing approved templates and dictionaries in the time allotted, while maintaining the integrity and meaning of material.
- Ability to write and speak clearly and coherently in target language(s) and English.
- Ability to read a variety of unfamiliar subjects, relate ideas, make intelligent inferences, and rarely misunderstand the intent of the writer.
- Ability to accurately format, proofread, edit, apply graphic designs, and other software functions needed to meet customer product expectations.
- Ability to translate or interpret conversations accurately and clearly.
- Ability to consistently deliver a quality product within the established standards.
- Ability to meet and strive to exceed minimum production levels and standards in number of pages translated.
- Be proficient in MS Office programs (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and be computer literate.
- Ability to deploy to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and other overseas locations on short notice for an extended period, staying in housing based on availability for Commission hearings and for investigative and case preparation work, and will be required to attend all sessions of trial, seated at the defense table.
- Ability to interact positively with Leidos government customer and co-workers at all times.
- Team player who is able to communicate effectively with colleagues, addresses tasks quickly and efficiently, and collaborates on group projects.
- Willing to work long hours to meet mission demands.
- Sufficient technical aptitude to gain a working knowledge on job-required tools and processes
- Background or experience in the military, DLI
- Bachelor's degree, preferred
- Native-level proficiency in foreign language