We are looking for you to be our next Senior Navigation Engineer in our Leidos Innovation Center (LInC) in Huntsville, AL. Our team's mission is to: (1) develop and demonstrate new alternative navigation technologies to meet urgent military operational needs to operate in GPS-challenged environments, and (2) rapidly transition this technology to operational platforms to outpace the adversary threats currently being faced in the field. Project involve small teams of engineers working together in spiral or agile development environments to meet aggressive customer schedules aimed at near-term field demonstrations of emerging capabilities. Our core competencies include sensor fusion, computer vision, HW/SW integration, and machine learning. Typical customers include Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), Army Combat Capabilities Development Command (CCDC) engineering centers, and Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL). We are looking for a candidate who is interested in performing challenging technical work, leading small teams of engineers, and supporting new business activities. Position will offer opportunities for significant career development including leading design teams for advanced prototypes, serving as a primary customer interface to senior government officials, and generating new concepts for next generation navigation solutions.
Fun stuff you will do on the job:
• Perform system-level analysis and software development for alternative navigation systems.
• Serve as technical lead for navigation development efforts with teams of 3 to 8 junior and mid-level engineers. May also serve as project manager for smaller efforts.
• Develop mathematical sensor errors models and implement navigation filters including Extended Kalman Filters, Unscented Kalman Filters, and Particle Filters.
• Support trade studies and requirements development for integrated alternative navigation systems. Technologies of interest include traditional navigation sensors (Inertial Measurement Units, GPS receivers) as well as novel augmenting technologies (cameras, LIDAR, signal of opportunity exploitation).
• Support development and integration with navigation simulations, including navigation error models and vehicle platform six-degree-of-freedom (6DOF) models
• Support hardware/software integration and field testing of new prototype navigation systems
• Support proposal development for new business opportunities, including technical solution design to meet novel requirements as well as proposal writing assignments
• Present to senior government and commercial clients for both status on current projects as well as presenting concepts for new business opportunities
Skills you need to be successful in this role:
• Bachelor's Degree in advanced technical field (Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent) with 10+ years experience performing and leading navigation development work.
• Programming experience with Matlab, Python, and/or C/C++
• Demonstrated leadership experience on navigation technology development projects for military or commercial customers
• Familiarity with emerging modular open architecture standards for navigation and avionics systems such as Future Airborne Capability Environment (FACE), Robot Operating System (ROS), and Open Mission Systems (OMS) architectures)
• Good customer interaction skills with potential to immediately lead small projects
• Ability to be cleared to Top Secret level
You will wow us even more if you have these skills:
• Masters or PhD in advanced technical field (Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent) with 15+ years experience performing and leading navigation development work.
• Experience leading a project that resulted in a fielded navigation technology
• Experience presenting to senior government and military officials (O-6 and above)
• Experience leading a successful competitive technical proposal that resulted in new work for your company, particularly in support of DARPA or a military research laboratory
• Strong real-time software optimization and hardware/software integration skills
• Existing security clearance at Secret level or above
• Experience with autonomous vehicle / robot system development