Our Defense Group at Leidos has an immediate opening for a talented junior level Chemist to assist the Edgewood Chemical Biological Center (ECBC) - Chemical and Biological Protection and Decontamination Division in basic and applied research efforts using state of the art test and evaluation equipment. Located at Aberdeen Proving Ground our ideal candidate will support the test and evaluation of novel materials, equipment, and method applications for the chemical and biological protection of the U.S. warfighter.
Our Chemist will perform tests and experiments in support of principle investigators on multiple funded projects for various Government agencies. Support involves testing and evaluating toxic industrial chemical (TIC), toxic industrial material (TIM), and various chemical warfare material (CWM) and will required the performance of gas life tests on sorbent materials and filter media, performance of breakthrough studies on filter media, modifying test systems, calibrating analytical equipment, analyzing data, and reporting results.
- Function as a team member with other engineers, chemist and scientists in performing breakthrough tests with toxic industrial chemicals (TICs), toxic industrial materials (TIMs), and chemical warfare material (CWM)
- Operates and maintains analytical test equipment such as gas chromatographs and analytical balances
- Performs work in accordance published processes and procedures with an emphasis on safety
- Generates test data and contributes to technical report development
- Performs bench top experiments, analytical calibrations, and various wet chemistry efforts.
- Contributes in product development
- Reports to on-site Leidos team lead and represents Leidos as prime contractor for the Edgewood Chemical and Biological Center
- Prepares samples for testing, maintains laboratory notebooks, and disposes of laboratory hazardous waste
- Performs other duties assigned.
- Bachelors' Degree in Chemistry or related field with 0-2 years' experience
- An active DoD Secret Clearance
- Demonstrated experience in wet chemistry applications
- Demonstrated knowledge in analyzing and reporting analytical data
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal oversight
- Ability to wear laboratory personal protective equipment to include an air purifying respirator.
- Experience in operating analytical test equipment such as Agilent Technologies gas chromatographs
- Experience in working with laboratory information management systems (LIMS) and data acquisition software such as LAB-VIEW
- Hands-on experience in working with TICs and TIMs to include cyanogen chloride, hydrogen cyanide, and phosgene.