Leidos Life Sciences Division is currently looking for a Life Scientist-Decontamination Expert to perform research at the Plum Island Animal Disease Center (PIADC), Plum Island NY under a contract with the Department of Homeland Security Science and Technology Directorate, Office of National Labs. The overall goal of the program is to develop, test, and evaluate methods to decontaminate components of the PIADC facilities. The primary targeted pathogens are Foot-and-mouth disease virus and African swine fever virus. Research may include developing decontamination processes with other animal viruses such as classical swine fever virus, and potentially other pathogenic and nonpathogenic animal viruses and biological indicator organisms.
The position requires daily travel to and from Orient Point, NY or Old Saybrook, CT and Plum Island aboard government-provided marine vessels.
Develop and facilitate the decontamination processes within the Biocontainment Lab.
Validation of successful decontamination procedures.
Frequent collaboration with regulatory authorities at local, state and federal levels
Provide o versight to ensure compliance with technical specification, operational, design and regulatory requirements
Interface with internal and external stakeholders on current and future projects status
1. A minimum of a Master's degree from and accredited college or university with 5+ years of relevant experience or PhD with 1-3 years of relevant experience is required.
2. Experience working in a high level Bio-Containment Lab facility.
3. Advanced knowledge of Environmental, Safety & Health and waste regulations.
4: U.S. Citizen required to work in U.S. Government facility.
5: Effective oral and written communication.
6: Proficiency in using basic word processing and data management software is required. Reports will be written and submitted to DHS scientists and managers, and most likely to regulatory authorities. Manuscripts for publication in scientific journals and presentations at relevant conferences are anticipated.
7. Preference is for highly motivated, dependable, and well-organized scientists who are also good team players.
8. Must have or be able to obtain clearance for entry on duty and access to the BSL-3 space.