The System Administrator will be a member of a leading edge, dynamic technical program - NEWTTON. This program is a small development program in Washington DC with Agile Development and migration to the cloud. This development program is a workflow tool to engage linguists for the Intelligence Community.
The System Administrator (SA) is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure on an AWS cloud environment. Participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values. This individual is accountable for the following systems: Windows systems that support a workflow application; Responsibilities on these systems include SA engineering and provisioning, operations and support, maintenance and research and development to ensure continual innovation.
• Engineering of SA-related solutions for various project and operational needs.
• Install new / rebuild existing AWS instances and configure services, settings, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
• Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
• Contribute to and maintain system standards.
• Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
• Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all AWS Cloud instances, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups for an on premise and cloud environment.
• Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media as necessary.
• Perform regular file archival and purge as necessary.
• Perform security scan as necessary.
• Repair and recover from AWS or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies.
• Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure/add new services as necessary.
• Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures.
• Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
• Bachelor's Degree and 8-12 years of prior relevant experience or Master's Degree with 6-10 years of prior relevant experience or High School Diploma and 14 years of prior relevant experience
• Cleared at the Top Secret level with the ability to pass a CI polygraph
• Windows/Microsoft System Administration experience
• AWS/Cloud experience
• Must be able to interpret and/or discuss information with others, which involves terminology or concepts not familiar to many people; regularly provide advice and recommend actions involving rather complex issues.
• Experience resolving problems within established practices.
• Ability to provide occasional technical guidance.
• Responsibilities sometimes require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little advanced notice.
• Experience migrating systems to the cloud
• AWS/Cloud experience
• VMWare experience
• Experience with Oracle Databases
• Security+ Certification
• CISSP Certification
• AWS Certification