Are you interested in improving and shaping the transportation industry? Leidos leads USDOT's research and development of new technologies to improve the safety, operation, and efficiency of the nation's transportation system. We're seeking a Transportation Systems Engineer who is motivated by variety and enjoys leading critical tasks necessary for Connected Vehicle (CV) infrastructure (V2I & V2X) support. The Systems Engineer is expected to guide the work of multiple teams in coordination with the program manager.
Location: Denver, CO
The Systems Engineer duties include, but not limited to:
- Lead in developing architecture and design; from the field layer all the way to the cloud infrastructure, inclusive of any middleware, data brokers, back-office systems, on-premise hardware, outdoor fiber network, Traffic Management Center, enterprise network, and the Enterprise Data Management (EDM) cloud platform.
- Working directly with connected vehicle technology, specifically including standards related to dedicated short-range communications (DSRC), J2735 message sets, and related standards and protocols.
- Use of transportation technologies and standards, including NTCIP protocols for traffic signal controllers.
- Developing networks and security, including working with legacy and modern network architectures.
- Prototyping system solutions, establish minimal viable products, prove out proofs of concept, and document the process and lessons learned.
- Evaluate vendors for fit and performance against stated standards, including:
- Support for open architectures
- Interoperability across devices and layers of the technology stack
- Support for open source components, libraries, and source code
- Develop mechanisms to scale prototypes or solutions to scale, and in the process:
- Contributing back to open source community
- Collaborating with broader deployer ecosystem
- Deliver all artifacts of design and diagram work, produce technical documentation for a broad audience.
- Establish best practices for customers, including from the perspectives of:
- Build out
- Rollout at scale
- Interface with other agencies and teams, including:
- Field technicians in the tech shop and construction teams
- Network and security leadership in technology services
- Serve as the primary problem solver for technical issues between stakeholders.
- Established continuous integration, continuous delivery, DevOps cadence, and orchestrated enrollment for digital ecosystems.
- Manage and oversee multiple technical teams and direct reports, including contracted teams.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or other related field
- Minimum 7 years' experience in IT
- Fluent in the following programming languages: Java, C, C++ and Python
- Proficient experience in architecting and developing systems leveraging framework and concepts such as Serverless, Micro services, Big Data solutions and analytics, Machine Learning algorithms, IoT/M2M.
- Experience in all phases involved in development SDLC, converting business requirements into technical specifications.
- Experience with Full stack Java/J2EE architecture and development.
- Knowledge in technical implementation on Docker, Kubernetes, Continuous Integration and deployment, DevOps and Security.
- Experience in all phases of requirements gathering, design, development, execution implementation, coding, debugging, documentation, Integration, testing, release and training activities.
- Must have at least one or a combination of the following Certifications:
- AWS: Architect, Developer, and Administrator
- MIT Digital Programs: Cybersecurity
- SUN: Web Component Developer for J2EE Platform 5.0.
- SUN: Programmer for the JAVA 2 Platform 5.0.
- OMG-UML: UML Fundamental Certified Professional.
- Possesses as strong background in cloud platforms.
- Possesses a background in transportation systems.
- A combination of experience with topics such as: Cloud, Big Data technologies, Web technologies, Data Science and Machine Learning
- Prior experience with Denver's connected vehicle (CV) program preferred
- Developed solutions for Smart cities - Connected Vehicle Ecosystem, Connected Traffic Management Center, Transportation use case such as Travel Time Reliability, stop bar violations, Environmental use cases such as air quality and optimizing productivity across teams.
- Designed and developed solutions for public safety leveraging First responders dedicated spectrum (FirstNet)
- Designed and developed solution to correlate various silo data sources to provide an actionable intelligence for the First Responder and PSAP community.