The Federal Health Operation has an opening for a Sr. Systems Administrator located at Ft. Detrick, MD. Position is with the Enterprise Information Technology (IT) Project Management Office (PMO), supporting medical research. Candidate will work for the Leidos Project Manager but is expected to work independently and accomplish assignments without much direction.
Perform installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting on all hardware and software involved with or in support of eIT PMO. Work with the project's Information Assurance (IA) Engineer, Product Leads, and Management to prioritize and execute system administration tasks following eIT PMO processes.
- Administers the functionality and efficiency of one or more operating systems deployed within the Development, Test and Production Environment.
- Set up & Maintain administrator and service accounts.
- Maintain system documentation, tuning system performance, installing system-wide software, validating and implementing critical system patches.
- Install and provide backup recovery for operational software.
- Follow approved policies, procedures and standards related to the use of computing resources, overall strategy, design, implementation, and operational aspects of multiple systems, operating environments and related software.
- Develop schedules, plans, and implementation of system upgrades.
- Work to meet scheduled milestones in the Integrated Master Schedule.
- Monitor and control server operating systems. Analyzes system faults, monitors log files, troubleshoots and runs diagnostic tests on operating systems and hardware to detect problems.
- Evaluate and install developed or COTS software during various phases of testing.
- Review and prepare documentation for system test and installation of software.
- Participate in preventive maintenance, including patching and log review of operating systems, as well as repair of operating system problems.
- Administer systems/environment solutions for multiple projects with varying schedules and interface with vendors for solution of trouble calls.
- Responsible for Operating system security support such as routinely executing IA patches to be compliant with IA Controls, and resolve or document vulnerability findings.
- Ability to perform effective log review
- Interact with peers on a daily basis and during internal Engineering Review Board meetings. Requires frequent interaction with customers and/or function peer group leads and managers.
- Maintain a safe workplace ensuring that he/she is aware of and observes appropriate safety and occupational health rules and regulations. Employee may be required to attend safety training relative to his/her position and report any infractions of safety procedures to the facility Safety Officer.
- Support all aspects of keeping products operational and available to customers.
- Manage firewall rules. Coordinate with the external network management team to ensure that all required ports are open and documented.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
Additional Specific Duties :
Minimum Daily Duties (Daily checks)
Backup Job - make sure that it ran successfully and tapes are available for the next backup job
Run Disk Space report to verify that no systems are out of hard drive space
Check VMware alerts
Check datastore sizes
Review SecureVue/Splunk logs
Understand and be able to explain to others the Backup and Restore process.
Understand and be able to explain to others the Disaster Recovery process.
Ensure that required supplies are on hand, specifically backup tapes, and that any needed supplies are ordered at least 3 months in advance of when they are needed.
Deploy windows patches.
Deploy new Medical dictionaries.
Review CR/CP/Implementation and Test plan for every change that impacts Sys Admin team.
Identify and escalate tasks that need to be completed. Report them to the Product Development and Sustainment lead if needed.
Be on hand for every scheduled downtime (unless prior arrangements are made) to support the scheduled work and troubleshoot any issues.
Maintain hardware - coordinate any required vendor support, apply and document firmware updates, manage and backup hardware configurations, ensure that support contracts are in place.
Document system configurations.
Evaluate system security posture by completing STIG checklists for OS and other Software configurations.
Maintain SAN hardware and software.
Mentor Junior System Administrator, providing guidance and delegation of tasks.
Document Maintenance Responsibilities
Create or update Work instructions for technical tasks.
Hardware/Software Inventory - maintain entries and change log.
Maintain Backup and Restore process documents (SOP and Work Instructions).
Create and Maintain Change Requests/Change Proposals through completion.
- Must have a bachelor's degree and 2 years' experience or 6-10 years of related experience in lieu of degree.
- CompTIA Security+ certification required.
- Position requires Microsoft MCSA or SkillPort training equivalent within first six months of employment.
- Experience in Microsoft server administration or administration of VMWare required.
- Experience in Oracle database administration or MS SQL Server preferred.
- Experience with web server software such as IIS, Tomcat, or JBOSS required.
- Must be proficient with Powershell.
- Successfully complete an SSBI background investigation.
- Must be US Citizen
- Experience with Devops methodologies and toolsets is preferred.
- Experience with x509 PKI is preferred.
- Understand each application, windows and network security, and how the servers communicate with each other and what VLAN the servers are in.
- Understand the user base for each application and know if they are AMED only or external also.
- Know servers in each application by server name.
- Be able to perform Regression testing (full/login-nav) for each of the eIT PMO products.
- Know how to deploy (Windows) software Patches and firmware updates on hardware.
- Familiarity with log management and log review
- Able to create and modify Powershell scripts