Leidos heritage companies have significant experience in supporting Census operations in the UK (2001 and 2011), USA and Canada. Building on this experience, Leidos will partner with subcontractors to continue its support of the ONS customer, delivering development, test, and operational capabilities for the 2021 Census. This work includes the production and post-out of blank Questionnaires to Households in England, Wales and Northern Ireland and the receipt, scanning, data capture, keying and coding of returned forms. This opportunity is for candidates working towards a degree in computer science, computer/electrical engineering or related discipline interested in putting their skills to work as an engineering professional. The candidate will support the design, development, testing and delivery of the data capture service that will lift data from images of paper questionnaires, provide functionality for end users to key data where the system is not confident of the data captured, and prepare the data for processing by down-stream functions. This work will done out of our Leidos facility in Lanham, MD.
- Create detailed software requirements including identification, definition and modeling.
- Design digital Census forms based off of customer specifications.
- Implement third-party products needed to support systems and applications, including development toolkits.
- Develop and conduct unit testing to demonstrate stated requirements are accurate designed and implemented. Collaborate with the Test Engineering team in conduct of functional, system, integration, end-to-end, and performance testing of the solution and address defects to meet application requirements
- Act independently to resolve design & development problems; engaging more senior engineering resources when appropriate
- Work comfortably both individually and as part of a team, and be prepared to challenge ideas within a group in a constructive way.
- Display acute business acumen and understanding of organizational issues and challenges. Able to work effectively at all levels in an organization.
- Analyze problems and determine root cause, generating alternatives, evaluating and selecting alternatives and implementing solutions.
- Proficiency in Software Development Lifecyle including Requirements Engineering, Design, Software Development and Testing
- Can communicate clearly and efficiently to team members and Census customers, verbally and in writing
- Able to present ideas in a variety of ways depending upon audience and context. Excellent active listening skills
- Detail-oriented, able to repeatedly execute steps and document processes associated with work
- Candidates must be enrolled in a degree program in a relevant discipline.
- Experience with Object Oriented Programming (OOP) using C++, C# or Java
- Experience integrating commercial software libraries with custom code
- Experience with source control tools
- Experience of change management principles, methodologies and tools.
- Experience with Agile development and tools.