More About the Role:
Leidos is a large, multi-national corporation specializing in the management of complex technology programs. We have an exciting opportunity working with the Office for National Statistics (ONS) to support the development and delivery of information technology services to the handling and processing of paper census questionnaires. The 2021 Census Questionnaire Management (QM) program, Program Management Office is located in the Southeast of the United Kingdom, near the ONS Titchfield, Hampshire office with the predominance of IT engineering support being provided from the US, in Lanham, MD.
As part of this program we have a requirement for a full time Coding Lead. Working under the Data Capture Software Engineering Lead, this individual will be responsible for the delivery of the Leidos Census Coding subsystem in support of the 2021 Questionnaire Management program. Short duration travel to the United Kingdom for meetings with the Customer and/or 2021 QM Program Management Office may be required.
This position will support the design, development, testing and delivery of the applications used to control the workflow, control, and management surrounding the processing of collected census data. This position could also be required to develop external system interfaces, management information reports using Tableau, and a data verification system to analyze and report the quality and accuracy of processed data.
What You'll Get to Do:
In addition to Software Engineering responsibilities as detailed below, this individual will operationally report directly to one or more Integrated Product Team (IPT) Leads in collaborating and liaising with our ONS customer counterpart(s) in the delivery IT services.
Collaborates to establish software development processes, from the establishment and definition of requirements to implementation, acceptance, and maintenance. Provides technical and administrative guidance for personnel performing software development tasks, including the review of work products for correctness, adherence to the design concept and to user standards, and for progress in accordance with schedules. Coordinates with IPT Lead to ensure problem solution and user satisfaction. Makes recommendations for approval of major systems installations. Prepares status reports and deliveries/presentations on the system concept to colleagues, subordinates and end user representatives. Collaborates in the definition of databases, tables, and entity relationships. Manages high-level databases. Reviews computer database information software support systems and data requirements, as well as communication and response needs, and recommends operating systems and languages to support them. Assists with the design and documentation of data requirements, design specifications, and system demonstrations.
Throughout the program, the candidate will be required to perform the following under the guidance of more senior software engineers:
• Creating detailed software requirements including identification, definition and modeling.
• Designing data structures and interactions used in the application solution.
• Overseeing the software prototyping/pilot processes when required.
• Selecting the technology products or application solutions to fulfill business needs.
• Performing the design, development, and testing of applications solutions to achieve the To-Be state.
• Managing the implementation of third-party products needed to support systems and applications, including development toolkits.
• Collaboration with the Test Engineering team in conduct of unit, functional, system, integration, end-to-end, and performance testing of the solution and address defects to meet application requirements.
• Prepare for solution deployment, deployment of the solution, and post deployment plans.
• Verifying developed software adheres to Project requirements (Solution requirements and Non-functional requirements).
• Conducting code reviews, identify critical software errors and provide remediation.
• Ensuring interface compatibility to include reviewing interface descriptions for completeness.
• Identify and manage all risks, issues and opportunities associated with the Coding Subsystem.
• Develop a strong working relationship with the customer counterpart.
• Support reporting/statusing requirements both within Leidos and the customer.
You'll Bring These Qualifications:
-Requires BS degree and 8-12 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 6-10 years of prior relevant experience.
• Recognized authority in his/her field and exhibits an exceptional degree of ingenuity, creativity and resourcefulness; applies and/or develops highly advanced principles, theories and concepts in managing large scale software development projects; acts independently to resolve major problems; manages, leads and advises staff members in order to meet established objectives; responsible to accomplish long range objectives; self-supervised; decisions have a prolonged positive effect on organization's reputation and business posture; consultant to senior management and prime spokesperson to customer on company capabilities and future efforts.
• Experience and expert knowledge of change management principles, methodologies and tools.
• Familiarity with project management approaches, tools and phases of the project lifecycle including Agile.
• Experience delivering medium-scale Agile development and project management for complex, mission critical software.
• Tools/Technology Experience: Applies advanced technical principles, techniques, theories and concepts. Contributes to the development of new principles and theories. Exposure and usage of applicable languages and software commensurate with, but not limited to:
-Software languages such as MySQL (Maria) JAVA, JAVA Script, C/C++, Unix/Linux, XML, HTML, Ajax and/or other front-end skills, Shell Scripting, Perl Scripting, PBS Pro Workflow, Tomcat, Web Services Development.
-Technical Management Tools such as JIRA Agile/Version One, TOAD, Rally (Requirements Management), Version Manager, and Serena Business Manager (SBM).
-Usability Software such as Microsoft Professional Suite including Project, VISIO, Word, Excel and SharePoint (2010 or newer).
These Qualifications Would be Nice to Have:
• Experience with image processing and scanning software.
• Experience with Census customer(s).