The Defense Group within Leidos has a career opportunity for an Architecture Software Engineer in Abingdon, MD to support a critical modernization effort of the Advanced Field Artillery Tactical Data System (AFATDS) in order to satisfy the vision of Program Executive Office (PEO) Command Control Communications - Tactical (C3T) and Project Manager Mission Command. The Architecture Software Engineer will be expected to integrate and collaborate with all technical teams to deliver a fully-functional system.
The AFATDS is a multi-service, automated command, coordination, communication, and computing system that provides automated fire support and coordination to all echelons, from firing unit through theater level, at Army, Marine Corps, Naval Firing Platforms, Navy Command and Amphibious Assault Ships, Air Force Operations Centers, and Joint Command and Control Centers. AFATDS enables the automatic application of the Force Commander’s guidance in the Fires Warfighting Function to plan, execute, and deliver effects at all levels of command within the current and future force. AFATDS can automatically tailor the selection of fire support assets (field artillery, mortars, close air support, naval gunfire, attack helicopters, and offensive electronic warfare assets) based on the Commander’s guidance, thereby enabling maximum effective use of all available fire support assets across the full spectrum of conflict.
This effort is to meet the government’s objective to modernize the underlying AFATDS architecture, redesign the AFATDS front-end to a fully web- and role-based user interface, integrate common services made available through the Army’s Common Operating Environment (COE), and incorporate advanced embedded training technologies to aid in operator-initiated system instruction and refresher training.
- Derive and maintain a cohesive program software architecture based on customer requirements, customer interactions, subject matter expert inputs, system architecture artifacts, and business objectives.
- Assess software architecture based on CMU SEI software architecture principles – including the application of quality attribute analysis and architecture tactics analysis.
- Document program software architecture using standard UML artifacts in No Magic Cameo and MagicDraw tools.
- Communicate architecture concepts to software developers, program management, and customer representatives in written form, during meetings, and as part of program milestone events.
- Create software architecture inputs to service oriented component design activities, including inter-component service definitions and inter-component interaction sequences.
- Work with subject matter experts to assess requirements, and to ensure consistency between system architecture and software architecture.
- Work independently as a contributing member to multiple software sprint teams, and as a guide/mentor for a small team of software architect personnel.
- Use Jira, Confluence, Git/Bitbucket collaboration and source control tools to communicate information.
- Support creation and updating of program milestone briefings and documents, including PDR and CDR.
- Participate in design reviews, release planning, and product demonstrations.
- Identify potential roadblocks and provide solutions
- Plan and estimate design tasks and work to improve performance metrics
- Other duties as required
- BS degree in related technical field and 8-12 years prior relevant experience OR Master’s degree with 6-10 years of prior relevant experience. May substitute BS degree for 4 additional years of related experience.
- Expert in documenting software architecture and design using UML
- Experience with Cameo and/or MagicDraw
- Experience with Atlassian tools, including Jira, Confluence, and Bitbucket
- Experience in Java/J2EE technologies
- Experience with Service Oriented Architectures (SOAs) specifically, OSGi
- Experience with Objected Oriented Analysis Design and Programming
- Experience designing and building web services, including REST-based services
- Experience designing and building network communication software using TCP/IP
- Able to multi-task, self-assign work, and function in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Proficiency with MS Office Products (Word, Excel, Visio, & PowerPoint)
- Ability to obtain a DoD SECRET security clearance
- US Citizenship is required
- Experience in User Interface development technologies, such as HTML5, NodeJS, Angular7, etc
- Experience analyzing software architectures using CMU SEI approaches
- Experience with Thin Client and Smart Client design and development
- Experience with AFATDS, Army Common Operating Environment (COE) or other PM MC systems
- Currently possess an active DoD SECRET security clearance
- Familiarity with VMF (and other Army communication standards)
- Familiarity with MIL-STD-188-220
- Good understanding of concurrency (threading models and patterns)
- Understanding of TCP/IP, UDP/IP, NLB network protocols
- Experience working with Raytheon Taclink modems and tactical radios (R/T 1523, AN/PRC 152(A), AN/PRC 117G, AN/PRC 155 )
- Familiarity with both SINCGARS and IP waveforms (SRW, ANW/2)
External Referral Eligible
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Software Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.