Job Requisition:Systems Engineer
Air Traffic Control and Management Systems Engineer Office locations: Eagan MN or Gaithersburg MD
Leidos is seeking a Systems Engineer who will be a member of a dynamic team working on the development of an air traffic control and management system that improves aircraft runway and terminal congestion. Nationwide congestion is increasing, and the need for efficient aircraft traffic planning is critical. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Terminal Flight Data Manager (TFDM) is the surface management solution that will provide NextGen Air Traffic Control capabilities to improve air traffic operations in the National Airspace System (NAS).
The Terminal Flight Data Management (TFDM) program is a Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) NextGen program based on airport surface management provides that efficiencies for both the airport surface and terminal airspace by providing a new and comprehensive integrated surface traffic control and management system.
TFDM functions include:
• Surface Collaborative Decision making (SCDM), departure scheduler and other airport decision tools
• Electronic Flight Data (EFD);
• Enhanced Air Traffic Control Tower (ATCT) Traffic Flow Management System (TFMS)
• Replacement or integration of multiple systems in the National Airspace System (NAS).
• TFDM will share data among: controllers, aircraft operators, and airports so they can better stage arrivals and departures and manage traffic flow within terminal airspace for greater efficiency.
• Stakeholders will have a shared awareness of flights on the ground and in the air, the ability to exchange data electronically, with the goal of a continuous real-time picture of traffic volume and airport resources, making flights more efficient from gate to gate.
Working both as a member of a team and independently the successful candidate will be:
• Modernizing the air traffic control tower equipment by improving the exchange of electronic flight data and implementing electronic flight strips.
• Streamlining the schedule sequence of departures to improve efficiency on the surface.
• Optimizing the experience for the flying public, Air Traffic Control, and the airline industry by improving the collaboration and decision-making capabilities between the gate and the tower.
• Developing A-Level System/Subsystem Specification (SSS) requirements, B-Level Software Requirements Specification (SRS), Systems Engineering Modeling and Design, and Computer Human Interface design and mock-up development for the TFDM system
• Interfacing with the FAA customer to address/answer questions relating to the developed requirements, use cases describing human interactions and design decisions
• Performing Systems Engineering as needed for the TFDM system
• Providing support needed for software development, integration and test, and other functional areas
• Articulating user needs and requirements from high level user stories
• Developing the design for the user interface framework including client and server side components; analyzing and designing databases within an application
• Working in an Agile Scrum environment
• Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
Typically requires BS degree and 8 – 12 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 6 – 10 years of prior relevant experience. May possess a Doctorate in technical domain.
• Systems Engineering experience, including proven experience working in complex projects gathering user requirements and converting them into system requirements
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including experience:
- working directly with customers to discuss their requirements and objectives
- interfacing with other functional areas (e.g. Software, Hardware)
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with others in a team environment
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Experience with IBM Doors and IBM Rhapsody
• Familiarity with SysML and System Engineering modeling and design approach
• Familiarity with the Atlassian Tool Suite and JIRA
• Experience supporting Requirements Reviews with customer
• Familiarity with the National Air Space and FAA NextGen Air Traffic control programs
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Engineering1000Civil
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.