The Defense Group within Leidos has a career opportunity for a Software Systems Architect in Abingdon, MD to support a critical modernization effort of the Advanced Field Artillery Tactical Data System (AFATDS) in order to satisfy the vision of Program Executive Office (PEO) Command Control Communications - Tactical (C3T) and Project Manager Mission Command. The Software Systems Architect will be expected to integrate and collaborate with all technical teams to deliver a fully-functional system.
The AFATDS is a multi-service, automated command, coordination, communication, and computing system that provides automated fire support and coordination to all echelons, from firing unit through theater level, at Army, Marine Corps, Naval Firing Platforms, Navy Command and Amphibious Assault Ships, Air Force Operations Centers, and Joint Command and Control Centers. AFATDS enables the automatic application of the Force Commander's guidance in the Fires Warfighting Function to plan, execute, and deliver effects at all levels of command within the current and future force. AFATDS can automatically tailor the selection of fire support assets (field artillery, mortars, close air support, naval gunfire, attack helicopters, and offensive electronic warfare assets) based on the Commander's guidance, thereby enabling maximum effective use of all available fire support assets across the full spectrum of conflict.
This effort is to meet the government's objective to modernize the underlying AFATDS architecture, redesign the AFATDS front-end to a fully web- and role-based user interface, integrate common services made available through the Army's Common Operating Environment (COE), and incorporate advanced embedded training technologies to aid in operator-initiated system instruction and refresher training.
• Derive and maintain a cohesive program software architecture based on customer requirements, customer interactions, subject matter expert inputs, system architecture artifacts, and business objectives.
• Assess software architecture goodness based on CMU SEI software architecture principles - including the application of quality attribute analysis and architecture tactics analysis.
• Document program software architecture using standard UML artifacts in No Magic Cameo and MagicDraw tools.
• Communicate architecture concepts to software developers, program management, and customer representatives in written form, during meetings, and as part of program milestone events.
• Review software team artifacts - including sprint plans, detailed designs, and code - to ensure compliance with chosen architecture tactics.
• Create software architecture inputs to service oriented component design activities, including inter-component service definitions and inter-component interaction sequences.
• Work with subject matter expert personnel to assess requirements, and to ensure consistency between system architecture and software architecture.
• Work independently as a contributing member to multiple software sprint teams, and as a guide/mentor for a small team of software architect personnel.
• Use Jira, Confluence, Git/Bitbucket collaboration and source control tools to communicate information.
• Plan and estimate software architecture related tasks.
• Support creation and updating of program milestone briefings and documents, including PDR and CDR.
• Participate in design reviews, sprint planning/estimating, release planning, demonstrations and retrospectives.
• Other duties as required
• BS and 4 - 8 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 2 - 6 years of prior relevant experience. May substitute BS degree for 4 additional years of related experience.
• Expert in documenting software architecture and design using UML
• Experience with Cameo and/or MagicDraw
• Agile Software development experience
• Experience with Atlassian tools, including Jira, Confluence, and Bitbucket
• Experience in Java/J2EE technologies
• Experience with Service Oriented Architectures (SOAs) specifically, OSGi
• Experience with Objected Oriented Analysis, Design and Programming
• Experience designing and building web services, including REST-based services
• Experience designing and building network communication software using TCP/IP
• Able to multi-task, self-assign work, and function in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
• Excellent verbal and written skills
• Proficiency with MS Office Products (Word, Excel, Visio, & PowerPoint)
• Ability to obtain a DoD SECRET security clearance
• US Citizenship is required
• Experience analyzing software architectures using CMU SEI approaches
• Experience with AFATDS or the Army Common Operating Environment (COE)
• Experience with Army Command and Control (C2) systems
• Currently possess an active DoD SECRET security clearance
• Familiarity with VMF (and other Army communication standards)
• Good understanding of concurrency (threading models and patterns)
External Referral Eligible