Leidos In Brief
Leidos is considered one of the most innovative defense contractors by both customers and competitors. We are also ranked as one of the world's most ethical companies by the Human Rights Campaign and Ethisphere.
At Leidos, you'll be joining the most talented and diverse engineers in the industry. Leveraging these close-knit and long-lived teams, our model is unique in the defense industry for eschewing the common focus on individual contracts. Instead, our engineers have access to a varied array of career options and tracks that let them pursue their passions without having to sacrifice personal success
We offer a robust benefits package including competitive salaries; company matching 401K Retirement Plan; comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage; flexible work schedule to allow for life/work balance; tuition reimbursement and more.
Our new Charlottesville office is proud to offer a chance to solve challenging and meaningful problems in an engineering-focused culture with concrete support for your career goals and growth. Join a decades-long tradition of elbow grease and good software as we expand in Charlottesville and come make something new.
Software Engineer, Applied Aeromancy
We are seeking talented Software Engineers for the Applied Aeromancy team with significant prior experience using Azure or AWS for a broad suite of services. You would join an existing Scrum team for application transition and elastic scalability in production. In this role, you would be supporting a broad spectrum of programs, such as designing the next generation of autonomous ships or deploying bleeding-edge site reliability tools and practices into secured environments. Your responsibilities would center on performing the initial triage of systems and system designs then architecting their use of elastic provisioning and containerization. As a result, this role is a 30/70 split between architecture and software engineering and could be expected to progress along either career track, depending on your career aspirations.
The Immediate Need
Successful candidates have most or all of the following qualifications, generally demonstrated concretely on professional projects:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field; additional years of experience may be considered in lieu of a degree
- Four or more years of professional experience in product-driven software engineering at scale
- Fluency in C#, Java, or Scala, and familiarity with Python, Bash, or Powershell
- Professional experience with a cloud provider, ideally Azure or AWS
- Ability to obtain a US Government TS SCI clearance (US citizenship required)
We believe that the following skills are good predictors for long-term success in this role and career track. Ideally, candidates will have at least one of these and possibly two or three.
- Priors with the production deployment of Spark, Accumulo, Kafka, or Kudu
- Professional experience with schema design for SQL or NewSQL databases
- Priors with the design and implementation of serverless application models
- Professional experience with test-driven development and refactoring
- Access to third level spells from the wizard or sorcerer list
- Demonstrable understanding of RESTful API design
- Professional experience with Ansible or Docker