The Leidos Defense Group is looking for a self-motivated and resourceful Junior Mechanical Engineer in Long Beach, MS to support test and evaluation (T&E) of an autonomous medium-displacement unmanned surface vessel (MDUSV), which is the fancy name for a 135-foot long, state-of-the-art, robotic trimaran. The first MDUSV was designed and built by Leidos several years ago, and is now operational on the U.S. west coast. The second vessel is currently being fabricated in Gulfport, MS, and will be launched next year. This job entails hands-on T&E of the vessel's mechanical systems during fabrication at a boatyard in Gulfport. After the vessel is launched, T&E activities will move to the open waters of the Gulf of Mexico, which requires the applicant to go to sea. This is a great opportunity to contribute to a very exciting and strategically important Department of Defense (DoD) program while growing with a great technical team at Leidos.
- Conduct testing of vessel components and systems during the vessel fabrication phase and document the test results.
- Update existing test procedures as needed to account for component or system design changes or revised manufacturing or testing processes.
- Identify discrepancies discovered during testing, and follow-up on corrective actions. Conduct and document re-testing as necessary.
- Prepare test reports which summarize test results and identify discrepancies discovered and corrective actions taken.
- Work with the vessel fabrication subcontractor to plan and conduct tests during vessel construction.
- Work with members of the Leidos engineering and fabrication teams to plan and conduct tests during and after vessel construction.
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering
- A working knowledge of AUTOCAD and SOLIDWORKS or similar 2D and 3D modeling software
- A working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs including POWERPOINT, WORD, EXCEL, VISIO and PROJECT
- Ability to produce test procedures and test reports
- Ability to work on a team and lead others while directing test activities
- Willingness to travel and to go to sea aboard marine vessels (up to 10% time at sea)
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Secret-level security clearance
- 1-2 years of work experience in industry or as an engineering co-op student
- A working knowledge of SOLIDWORKS SIMULATION or similar FEA structural analysis software
- Active Secret Clearance preferred