Job Requisition:Supervisor, Laboratory Operations (Antarctica)
The Crary Science and Engineering Center (CSEC) is a multi-purpose laboratory and office facility supporting a wide range of scientific disciplines at McMurdo Station in Antarctica. The laboratory facilities include analytical chemistry, microbiology, microscopy, molecular biology, radioisotope, seawater aquaria and general use laboratories configured to support biology, chemistry, oceanography, limnology, atmospheric physics, geology, and glaciology projects.
THIS POSITION REQUIRES DEPLOYMENT TO ANTARCTICA FOR 4-6 MONTHS ANNUALLY. Successful completion of the National Science Foundation's (NSF) physical, dental, and psychological examinations are a required to deploy to Antarctica. Deployment is anticipated to begin between August and October, with a return to the United States in February. Due to contract requirements, only U.S. Citizens or Green Card holders will be considered.
The Supervisor is responsible for laboratory science support provided at McMurdo Station including: Overseeing operations and ensuring safety in CSEC and the surrounding vicinity. Ensures all staff, grantees and customers have the resources and information needed. Leads and provides direction to all staff in the building. Creates the major resource (laboratory, offices, lab equipment) usage schedule for grantee and USAP seasonal requirements. This individual is also considered the Antarctic Support Contract (ASC) subject matter expert for laboratory practice and equipment.
McMurdo: Deploys to McMurdo Station for the Austral summer season to run the laboratory facilities and supervise ASC laboratory and technical support personnel. Primary on-site POC for all CSEC activities, including ASC departments, NSF, and grantees. Reallocates lab/office space and equipment as requirements change throughout the season.
Denver: Assists in hiring contract employees and provides direction to the winter lab assistant at McMurdo Station. Coordinates the purchase of laboratory supplies for the following season and tracks the shipment of all purchases for the laboratory. Assists in budget planning and long range capital investment planning. Allocates all laboratory resources (including laboratories/offices, equipment) for the following season.
- Creates a safety culture as outlined in the Chemical Hygiene SOP and the NSF Code of Conduct for all personnel in the CSEC.
- Provides input to Annual Program Plan for material budgets, sub-contracts and personnel resource scheduling. Monitors the laboratory budget and procurements. Makes recommendations for all laboratory/equipment purchases based on funded science and investment plan.
- Manages all office, aquarium and laboratory space in the CSEC.
- Manages all field laboratories.
- Assists in hiring all seasonal staff; provides primary tasking to laboratory staff while deployed to McMurdo
- Provides instructions for care, usage, maintenance, purchase and disposal of CSEC owned materials, instruments, equipment & engineered facility safety systems.
- Provides educational tours to Distinguished Visitors from NSF, US Military, US Government Officials, Corporate Officials, and International Antarctic Program visitors
- Coordinates Permits for Sample shipments through New Zealand; maintains communication system for hand-carry samples moving through New Zealand
- Coordinates staging space within CSEC and around McMurdo for grantees
- Coordinates the facility accessibility (clearing snow, water drainage, vehicle fumes, etc.)
- Fosters and cultivates relationships with all supporting departments within ASC, NSF, and grantees.
- Undergraduate degree in natural or physical sciences
- Three years of laboratory or observatory technical work
- Laboratory management experience
- One to two years of supervisory experience
- Comfortable with public speaking
- Experience with coordinating Facility Maintenance & facility access control systems
- Experience with Inventory Control Systems; preferably MAXIMO
Good verbal communication skills, computer literacy, and problem solving skills required
- Graduate degree in natural or physical sciences
- Remote field work experience preferred
- Previous polar experience preferred
- Experience in a research environment providing direct support to science projects
- Purchasing/budget tracking experience
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Other Clearance
Travel:Yes, 50% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist2000Civil
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.