Leidos Energy & Systems Solutions is a trusted and future-focused solutions provider. Utilities consistently come to Leidos for reliable power expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities and more than 160 municipals/cooperatives across the country as well as a growing number of local utility providers and private developers. Our project portfolio includes large energy projects for electric utilities, power generation owners, and industrial clients. In addition, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful energy delivery solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within: the Top 10 T&D Firms, Top 10 Program Management Firms, and Top 20 Power Firms.
Currently, we have an opportunity for a Mid-Level IEC 61850/ Relay-Settings Engineer with an emphasis on communication, transmission protective relay settings and the associated studies. This position is member of dynamic team of Power Delivery engineers within our Energy & Systems Solutions operation.
• Solving challenging substation engineering problems.
• Directing design engineers and performing quality reviews.
• Working directly with clients as well as working with other staff in remote office locations.
• Assignments will cover the full range of project planning through design and construction support.
• Preparation of relay settings from 4.16kV through 500kV including relay set points, Goose messaging, logic diagrams, configuration files and documentation.
• Minimum of 4+ year's relevant experience in high voltage electrical utility system protection and control engineering and experience
• Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) with an advanced degree a plus
• Main requirement is experience with implementing and working with IEC 61850 protocol
• Capable of using Aspen OneLiner and/or Electrocon CAPE for coordination studies and fault study analysis.
• Preparation of protective relay coordination studies
• Experience with development of relay settings for microprocessor relays including: SEL, Alstom, GE, ABB and others. For both transmission line relays (Line Differential, Step Distance and Pilot Schemes) and substation relays (Capacitors, Transformers and buses)
• Being familiar with Schweitzer AcSELerator QuickSet, General Electric EnerVista and Schneider Electric MiCOM software is a plus
• Strong engineering and interpersonal skills and high attention to detail with a passion for quality.
• Experience implementing control and protection schemes including interpreting schematics and wiring diagrams and preparing relay logic to complete the schemes.
• PE license preferred
• Ability to meet deadlines under pressure situations
• Team player who can work effectively in team environment;
• Self-starter who will work independently with minimal direction
• Strong written and verbal communication skills required when interfacing with clients and staff
• High level of computer competency
• The following are additional skills that are considered a plus:
• Experience preparing technical reports
• Familiarity with PTC MathCAD software
• Previous Quality Assurance/Quality Control experience
• Periodic travel may be required