Job Requisition:DevOps Engineer
Leidos operates FHWA’s Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL), where staff develop emerging technologies to improve highway transportation safety, mobility, and environmental impacts. Saxton Lab provides a variety of services to support the advancement and deployment of vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communications and cooperative behavior. Leidos seeks a proactive, motivated, and knowledgeable professional who will learn and support client needs and gain their trust.
Leidos is seeking software DevOps Engineer who is ready to take ownership of the processes and tools, and possesses a flexible, hands-on, take-charge attitude. Having a solid understanding of systems and software engineering processes for establishing and maintaining consistency of product and service performance will be essential. Direct experience in software build, deployment, version control, configuration management and testing is required. Our systems operate in the following areas:
• Cooperative automated vehicles,
• Traffic operations, and
• Intelligent transportation systems.
The DevOps Engineer will be part of a larger software development team that advances connected and automated vehicle technologies for FHWA via developing, testing, and demonstrating new capabilities associated with vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communication. The DevOps engineer will perform technical work and develop deliverables as needed.
The DevOps engineer is expected to work on a full time basis and report to FHWA’s Turner Fairbank Highway Research Facility in McLean, VA.
Primary job functions will include ownership of the CI/CD pipeline, specifically:
• Serve as the primary manager of the GitHub organization, where our open source and private repositories reside (https://github.com/usdot-fhwa-stol/CARMAPlatform).
• Act as the first point of contact for third party contributors to our repositories, performing triage and routing for their issues and pull requests.
• Reporting on metrics of open source repository activity.
• Managing public and private documentation stores on Confluence and internal document management facilities.
• Managing workflow and ticketing process on Jira, including maintaining automated interactions among Jira, Confluence, Github, and the continuous integration server.
• Create, modify, own and enforce strict adherence to software build and release processes, using modern best practices, and act as the initiator of formal release builds. Provide configuration status accounting and version management.
• Act as toolsmith for the team’s development, integration and deployment environment, including installing, configuring, integrating and maintaining multiple tools for maximum team productivity and ease of use.
• Manage data storage and transfer among systems for archival purposes.
• Contribute in occasional demonstrations, meetings, and webinars.
• Produce clear and concise written communication and deliverables.
• Participate in routine peer reviews of your work and providing critical review of others’ work products.
• Writing technical reports.
• Freedom to manage, own, and develop solutions and new support services.
• Client interaction and relationship development.
In addition to the above responsibilities, the role may also involve part-time work as a system tester, including:
• Develop, edit or review system level test plans and detailed test cases, given requirements or enhancement descriptions.
• Execute system tests, documenting anomalies and tracking them to closure; manage documentation of test results where appropriate to ensure testing requirements have been met in a timely manner. Test execution may involve operation of vehicles with various levels of automation on closed test tracks or public roads.
• Test article setup and configuration, which may involve software installation, configuration manipulations at the application of operating system level, and occasional minor system administration.
Required Education & Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with 3+ years of experience in software and systems development projects.
• Must be able to demonstrate competence in using Windows for typical office applications and a high degree of familiarity with Linux command line interactions.
• Experience managing software configuration in a Git environment.
• Experience managing software continuous integration and deployment tool suites, such as Circle CI, Jenkins, etc.
• Experience creating, updating and deploying software using Docker and DockerHub.
• Experience with issue tracking and management software, such as JIRA, TFS, etc.
• Enjoys helping others, is self-motivated, takes ownership, takes initiative, and possesses a desire to learn and grow, while self-teaching with minimal guidance.
• Candidate will need good English oral and written communication skills, the ability to listen and accurately identify client needs and issues, must be proactive in actions and communications, and able to follow through on commitments and deliver quality products ahead of or on schedule.
• Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust Clearance
• Experience in Agile methodology
• Software programming or shell scripting
• Experience orchestrating and building software in an open source environment
• Competence using SQL
• GitHub, JIRA, Confluence especially with experience in configuring and customizing these environments
• Systems Engineering
• Data management
• Cybersecurity operations
• Detailed knowledge of U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Highway Administration’s Operations Program
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Software Development1000Civil
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.