Job Requisition:Senior Consulting Research Scientist
This is a senior level consulting position where the incumbent will lead and participate in efforts to develop and apply advanced kinetics knowledge to experimental testing setups for work in advanced energy systems based on coal, biomass, natural gas, and other fuels and technologies. Influences development of solutions that impact strategic project/program goals and business results. Recommends and develops new technical solutions, products, and/or standards in support of function’s strategy and operations. Leads and manages works of other technical staff that has significant impact on project results/outputs. Resolves highly complex problems using significant application of technical knowledge, conceptualizing, reasoning and interpretation. Requires ability to communicate with executive leadership (internally or client) regarding matters of significant importance to the organization/project. Works to convince others to accept area’s view/current practices and agree/accept new concepts, practices and approaches. Has in-depth understanding of technical principles, theories, concepts and their application across range of programs. Serves as a subject matter expert within technical domain area. Develops solutions that are highly innovative and achieved through research and integration of best practices. Work assignments will be in support of the NETL Energy Conversion Engineering and Materials Engineering Manufacturing teams in R&IC.
The incumbent will also provide mentoring support to junior researchers. This position serves as a senior resource contact and independently uses professional concepts and techniques, as well as organizational policies to solve a wide range of moderate to complex problems in imaginative and practical ways. Significant skills, knowledge, and interpretive abilities, as well as some creativity, are required to successfully perform duties. Work effort often addresses non-routine matters within established protocol, guidelines, and/or policies. Work effort has significant impact on client services and operations, producing moderate to major organizational results. Position duties may require oversight of projects, including coordination of work by others providing support of basic objectives.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Providing senior level R&D technical support for the NETL Energy Conversion Engineering and Materials Engineering & Manufacturing groups and mentoring and guiding junior researchers.
- Collaborating closely with NETL and LRST researchers developing, testing, and analyzing experiments and data/results that will be utilized to validate and verify catalysts and sorbents created by the research team in support advanced energy conversion systems.
- Leading research efforts and applying advanced kinetics knowledge with gas-solid reactor systems to support research for advanced energy conversion systems.
- Developing ideas for high performance and novel devices to perform experiments to support testing needs for advanced energy conversion systems.
- Utilizing engineering knowledge and expertise to best develop and create experiments to allow for laboratory tests to generate the needed data for the experimental researchers and modelers.
- Presenting ideas and results to the research team.
- Contributing to future research planning and assisting with proposals.
- Working independently and collaboratively with members of the research team to meet milestones and deliverables.
- Assisting or leading efforts in writing research papers and creating conference presentations.
PhD in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering or a closely related field with an emphasis in kinetics of metal-oxide based catalysts and sorbents. 12+ years of postgraduate research and development experience is required.
The following skills and experience are also needed:
- Ability to develop and conduct experiments, data collection methods, and data analyses techniques.
- Ability to provide validation and verification guidance to assist modeling efforts in advanced energy conversion processes.
- Skilled in catalysis and experimentation using fixed, fluidized bed, and transport reactors.
- Skilled in mentoring and providing guidance for junior researchers in a research and development environment.
- Proficiency in mechanical engineering principles including applicable ASME codes.
- Ability to document and present research results, including using power point presentations and making podium presentations at technical meetings.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with a multidisciplinary/multi-organization team of co-investigators from diverse disciplines.
- Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents related to pertinent areas of research.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
The preferred candidate would have more than 20 yrs. of experience with a background in research and development. Experience in a US government national research lab would be a preference.
Experience/knowledge is preferred in the following areas:
- Expertise in proper laboratory practices including applicable environmental and safety requirements which are paramount in a government research lab.
- Ability to clearly communicate, both orally and written, to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to write competitive proposals in area of expertise.
- Ability to lead challenging and demanding R&D projects.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:Yes
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:17.3
Job Family:Consult Emp1000Civil
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.