Job Requisition:Safety Data Scientist I
Leidos is seeking a Safety Data Scientist in Abingdon, MD, to support the Advanced Field Artillery Tactical Data System (AFATDS) program. The Safety Data Scientist will support a critical modernization effort for Advanced Field Artillery Tactical Data System (AFATDS); with the goal of satisfying the vision of Program Executive Office (PEO) Command Control Communications - Tactical (C3T) and Project Manager Mission Command.
This position combines elements of Data Science and Software Safety Engineering, which requires a broad background in advanced numerical analysis, software systems, software development, algorithm development and system safety principles. This position also requires the candidate to present data analysis results and solutions to internal committees, corporate management, and government customers. The successful candidate should have experience with data visualization techniques, and demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Possesses a working knowledge of statistics, programming, and predictive modeling
- Knowledge of Software System Safety principles and concepts
- Review and advise software development team products to ensure that code architecture, design, and implementation complies with MIL-STD 882E (DoD Standard Practice System Safety) and the Joint Software Systems Safety Engineering Handbook (JSSSEH)
- Utilizing strong critical thinking skills and the relates them to system safety principles
- Displays understanding of and ability to use programming languages like Python, Java, MATLAB and SQL
- Ensures that testing and validation procedures of software modules meet safety standards
- Collaborate with Software Development teams to provide data models and code analysis
- Experience with data mining knowledge that spans a range of disciplines
- Generate and prepare tactical and strategic data science products to support the program.
- Assistance with technical articles, mathematical analysis reports, algorithm development, and validation methodologies
- Possesses strong exploratory analysis skills
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as the ability to bridge the gap between technical and non-technical audiences
- Exhibits the ability to think and research creatively
- Displays exceptional organizational skills and is detail oriented
- Possesses a good background in algorithm development
- Has a strong capability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced environment
- BS degree and 2 – 4 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with less than 2 years of prior relevant experience
- Experience with the following tools: MATLAB for algorithm development/validation; Python for Machine Learning, dataset analysis and modeling; and Java for code development and review
- Prior experience with Atlassian tools (Jira, Bitbucket, Structure), in addition to GitHub
- Experience with statistics and using statistical packages for analyzing datasets (Excel, SPSS, SAS, etc.)
- Knowledge of Software Safety standards such as MIL-STD 882E (DoD Standard Practice System Safety) and/or the Joint Software Systems Safety Engineering Handbook (JSSSEH)
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
- Adept at queries, report writing and presenting findings
- Experience importing/exporting, handling and manipulating medium to large datasets. (Real-time or AI/machine-learning NOT required)
- Strong skills and experience in Excel spreadsheet work including associated graphics (in Excel, and/or in commercial software like Tableau)
- Ability to rapidly learn client on-site data systems and access/download data for off-line analysis
- Basic knowledge/experience with statistical methods (especially regression, control charting, simple data displays)
- Ability to function in a multi-discipline team; professional client-facing skills and communication, both verbal and written
- Productive in delivering monthly analytic reports and contract deliverables within defined timelines
- US citizenship and the ability to obtain a DoD SECRET security clearance
- Experience with AFATDS or other Command and Control or Command and Decision systems
- Experience with System of Systems Analysis, Interoperability and Weapon system deployments
External Referral Eligible
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Data Scientist2000Defense
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.