The CDC is the US Government’s lead for monitoring and responding to seasonal, novel, and pandemic influenza. The mission of the Influenza Division of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases
(NCIRD), Office of Infectious Disease (OID) at the CDC is to improve global control and prevention of seasonal and novel influenza and improve pandemic preparedness and response.
Leidos is seeking a motivated, detail-oriented, organized junior level candidate to provide computational biology support and bioinformatics services to support division laboratory data management and analysis activities. Duties include the identification and implementation of new techniques and technologies for advanced analysis of complex biological data as related to infectious disease research surrounding the disciplines of biological sequence and structural analysis, computational genomics, evolutionary genomics, metagenomics and genome sequencing. A successful candidate will collaborate with external and internal bioinformaticians and research scientists in the disciplines of bioinformatics, genomics, metagenomics, and viral genomics. Some travel, both domestic and international, may be required to support certain subtasks by on site staff. This position is contingent upon contract award.
- Design protocols and processes to automate data analysis to support novel and existing bioinformatics applications in a growing genomics, proteomics, systems biology research environment
- Identify and implement new techniques and technologies for advanced analysis of complex biological data as related to infectious disease research surrounding the disciplines of biological sequence and structural analysis, computational genomics, evolutionary genomics, metagenomics and genome sequencing
- Collaborate with external and internal bioinformaticians and research scientists in the disciplines of bioinformatics, genomics, metagenomics, and viral genomics
- Develop and implement scripts, software tools and SQL-based database systems in the areas of pathogen genomics and metagenomic analysis
- Develop standard operating procedure (SOP) documentation for analytical protocols, script development, and application configuration and development
- Conduct project-specific site visits and audits at domestic and international laboratory sites or collaborative partner facilities to support project implementation and analysis support.
- Participate in the preparation of information for peer-reviewed journals and scientific conferences and meetings
- A Master’s degree in biostatistics or a related discipline
- 3-5 years related experience designing and implementing analyses of complex biological data
- Must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust Security Clearance
CDC customer experience and knowledge of their organizational structure
- Experience using programming languages such as PERL, BioPERL, java, Ruby, and/or Python
- Experience using R or Matlab and/or open source statistical applications
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Life Scientist2000Health
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.