Leidos is seeking Senior Building Inspectors to support the United States' Antarctic Program (USAP). Leidos is the prime contractor for the Antarctic Support Contract and operates three research stations, 2 research vessels, and many fields camps all in support of Science. Must be willing and able to deploy to Antarctica for extended periods.
The Building Inspector positions are seasonal positions and deploy to Antarctica from either October to February (summer) or February to October (winter). This position requires successful completion of the NSF physical, dental, and psychological examinations for deploying to Antarctica. Failure to meet these requirements will result in withdrawal of employment offer or other employment action. Must be able to obtain a Public Trust clearance.
Duties (Not all-inclusive):
- Responsible for conducting building inspections of all new construction and remodel projects as directed by the Quality Engineer and in accordance with project specifications and appropriate building codes.
- Conducts inspections of industrial, commercial manufacturing and facilities to ensure compliance with codes, regulations, standards, and contract requirements, which includes setting up inspection schedules, gathering information and evidence; and, ensuring conformance to plans, specifications and drawings.
- Provides technical assistance for development construction procedures and policies.
- Generates written reports and enforcement orders, which include noting deficiencies in standards and submitting final documentation.
- Reviews plans and specifications for compliance with codes, which includes assisting in projects in complying with regulations, prioritizing deficiencies, and preparing timetables.
- Meets with Architects, Engineers, Station Management, and construction supervisors to discuss all projects.
- Establishes an effective working relationship with senior management.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe workplace program and ensuring safety is the highest priority in the workplace.
- Performs weekly audits of facility maintenance work orders as well as audits of the repair work orders in the vehicle maintenance facility.
- Conduct special audits and inspections as directed by Station Management.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Must be willing and able to lift and move items, parts, assemblies and equipment up to the safety regulation maximum.
- Must be willing and able to perform physical activities including heavy lifting, climbing in and out of equipment, crawling, and working outdoors.
- Must participate in community programs, such as “house-mouse” (chores), “daisy-picking” (cleaning-up around the station), recycling efforts & safety objectives.
Typical Education and Experience: Typically requires high school diploma or equivalent and a minimum of five years of inspection in construction working on a City, State or Federal Project is required. Must be proficient with the use of electrical, plumbing and mechanical codes. Understanding of principals and techniques of building inspection and plan examining work, major types of building construction, materials, methods, and accepted safety standards and methods of building construction for industrial and commercial buildings required. Must demonstrate use of tact, discretion, initiative and independent judgment within the established guidelines. Skills in writing technical reports and correspondence, organizing work, setting priorities and meeting critical deadlines required. Welding inspection experience desirable. US citizenship or U.S. Permanent Residence is required.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 100% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Testing and Quality Assurance
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.