Job Requisition:Systems Engineer Senior (Cloud Service Reliability Engineer)
Leidos has a current opening in Austin Information Technology Center (AITC) for a ‘Systems Engineer, Senior’ supporting Veterans Affairs Enterprise Cloud initiatives of the Veteran's Administration (VA) Office of Information Technology (OIT). This is an advanced opportunity to use your Microsoft cloud knowledge and skills to support the VA Infrastructure Operations (IO) and IOSS initiatives Microsoft Azure Government (MAG) Cloud Systems.
Microsoft Azure Government (MAG) Cloud Systems Engineer, Sr. will provide support for public and private cloud hosted enterprise applications for multiple programs supporting the VA. This Engineer is responsible for communicating cloud patterns and establishing cloud readiness. They will work with the Architects and other engineering leads to improve, grow and expand existing systems and when necessary, support VA projects migrating to the VA Enterprise Cloud.
The primary focus of the Microsoft Azure Government (MAG) Cloud Systems Engineer, Sr. will be on delivering infrastructure support to the Azure, and Microsoft Government cloud for large, VA clients. This role includes ownership of technical, agency and service elements related to cloud project engagements along with building IaaS/PaaS infrastructure landing zones.
Other responsibilities will include: site reliability engineering, enterprise infrastructure engineering; network and solutions architecture; software and systems development; quality assurance; configuration and release management; IT security awareness; and process engineering services for the infrastructure, as well as the applications within the VA portfolio.
The main responsibilities will include the following:
- Assisting teams in the evaluation of existing applications and mapping to the most appropriate cloud model. (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS)
- Determining appropriate scenarios for effective use of containerization.
- Using site reliability expertise to collaboratively work with other technical teams to provide guidance and ensure systems and solutions are scalable and reliable.
- Developing applications in support of cloud readiness, onboarding and cloud transformation.
- Building infrastructure automation using scripts, runbooks, and orchestration.
- Providing subject-matter expertise in the evaluation of system requirements, architectures, models, designs, and release/deployment plans.
- Evaluating current systems for various components to include requirements, architecture, design, modeling, planning, and release and deployment artifacts.
- Participating in the development of action plans to remedy findings from assessments.
- Working with system development teams to remediate findings and, when required, provide solutions to system teams.
- Coordinating with service providers such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, and Software as a Service (SaaS) vendors for support as needed.
- Working closely with Cloud Platform Architects to sync on VA enterprise initiatives and communicate needs of the agency for new strategies.
- Ensuring compliance with applicable cyber requirements and other government policies and directives.
- Utilizing engineering and integration of tools and software for use in operating FedRAMP cloud environments.
- Resolving problems reported or discovered; include root cause analysis and reporting.
- Designing and documenting the automation of associated designs; including any analysis used to meet design requirements; constructing workflow charts and diagrams; studying system capabilities; and writing specifications.
- Providing enhancements or improvements to systems by studying current workflows and designs and determining inefficiencies.
- Preparing technical reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Supporting configuration management, quality assurance, and cybersecurity throughout the release cycle in an Agile environment.
- Assisting in IT Service Desk and troubleshooting to quickly resolve issues for end users.
- Collaborating with others in influencing the modernization strategy for our platforms and provide guidance on Micro Service and Orchestration services.
- Defining, communicating and enforcing design/coding standards for our distributed services.
- Conducting any required technical governance and design reviews.
- Publishing and presenting the architecture to peers and technology leaders.
- Ensuring a good understanding of common principals related to computing, networks, firewall, security and authentication practices.
- Influencing cross-functional teams with different mind sets, cultures, operating styles and decision-making frameworks.
- Organizing and coordinating with virtual team members to deliver on key strategic cloud objectives.
- Minimum of a Master’s degree computer science, software engineering, information systems, and the equivalent technical discipline of an additional 10 years of technology experience.
- 2+ years’ experience developing cloud native applications. (Private/Public)
- 2+ years’ experience with public cloud infrastructure in various cloud architectures. (e.g., Azure, AWS, GCP, Oracle)
- Solid understanding of cloud models. (IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS)
- Experience with containerization via Docker. (Kubernetes a plus)
- Understanding of Continuous Integration/ Continuous Deployment, CI/CD.
- Technical knowledge of security across a variety of cloud and on-prem use cases and architectures.
- Experience working within an Agile Sprints and Delivery Framework.
- Strong communication with ability to interact with all levels of an organization.
- Experience with automation/configuration management using either Ansible, Puppet, Chef or an equivalent.
- Ability to use a wide variety of open-source technologies and cloud services.
- Experience in practical application of lifecycle system engineering for IT Infrastructure.
- A working understanding of code and script (Java, .NET, PHP, Python, Powershell, Perl and/or Ruby).
- Knowledge of best practices and IT operations in an always-up, always-available service (e.g., SRE).
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a VA security clearance.
- Knowledge of, and preferably experienced with, AWS and/or Azure.
- Strong understanding of cloud migration techniques and workflows (on premise to Cloud Platforms)
- Configuration, migration and deployment experience in three or more of the following:
AWS apps technologies such as RDS, Elastic Beanstalk
Azure or AWS IaaS Technologies
Deployed applications with Web UI front ends
Deployed application with RESTful/SOAP services interfaces
- Excellent relationship building skills while maintaining a high level of professionalism.
- Azure and Amazon Cloud Certification.
- Microsoft Azure Government (MAG) expertise in working in defense or intelligence community Cloud environments.
- Network and/or security expertise in working in defense or intelligence community Cloud environments.
- Experience using Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA), Web Application Security Assessment (WASA), and/or National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) protocols and standards.
- Experience with security and compliance with various industry standards like HIPAA, PHI, etc.
- Strong understanding of networking, containers, and fault tolerance
- Experience implementing strategies such as blue-green deployments, phoenix environments, immutable infrastructure, and infrastructure as code.
- Experience with SQL and MySQL (NoSQL experience is a plus).
- Prior Web Application Development.
- Knowledge of, and preferably experienced with, CI/CD pipe lines, Agile/SCRUM methodologies.
- Familiarity or experience with Terraform, CloudFormation, Ansible, and MAG Resource Manager
- DevOps, Scripting, Configuration Management, and Infrastructure automation.
- Skilled at working collaboratively with cross-organizational VA teams to deploy and automate SDDN networks, security policies, infrastructure, and application systems
- Ability to automate and streamline processes
- Build and maintain operational tools
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues in development, test and production environments.
- Provisioning cloud resources
- Perform cloud management
- Manage cloud specific tool sets
- Setup and maintenance of cloud platforms
- Coordinate with Enterprise Architects and Administrators for integration with application, network and cloud services.
- Develop and maintain accurate documentation for internal procedures and services
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 31,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.17 billion for the fiscal year ended December 29, 2017. (NYSE: LDOS) All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Engineering2000Health
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.