Leidos' Security and Engineering Programs (SEP) is seeking a mid level Controls Engineer for the Center for Information Systems Services (CISS) program.
This position is located in Washington, DC and is for second shift: Monday thru Friday, 2pm to 10pm.
The Controls Engineer works on a variety of projects and part of a team responsible for implementing, maintaining, and supporting the automation & process control infrastructure. This position interacts daily with Government clients to understand and develop automation requirements and transform them into effective software solutions. This is accomplished utilizing software engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria, while using judgment in making minor adaptations and modifications. The candidate must possess a strong knowledge of PLC’s such as: Automated Logic, Loytec, and Allen Bradley
and be knowledgeable in multiple communications protocols such as: BACnet, Modbus RTU, Modbus TCP/IP, LonWorks, OPCUA, and DNP3. This position also provides second level support for maintaining the automation & process control infrastructure, which may include on call as well as on site when required. In addition to being team oriented, the candidate must possess strong written and verbal communication skills and have a working proficiency with MS Visio. This position will report to the IT Project Manager but will work directly with the Government Controls Engineer on a near-daily basis.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Perform design and engineering functions in accordance with accepted practices and program standards.
• Prepare project scopes of work, preliminary design concepts, and cost estimates for small projects. Assist in gathering field data and preparing project
• Develop high quality, error-free industrial software programs in keeping with the defined project requirements.
• Coordinate design with other members of the project team.
• Prepare scopes of work, bills of material, specifications, cost estimates, and other necessary projects documents.
• Prepare project correspondence as required.
• Maintain positive client relationships on projects assigned.
Support and Administration:
• Perform or coordinate maintenance activities on process control equipment or systems.
• Perform upgrades, add new facilities, and provide replacement of hardware and software.
• Troubleshoot and resolve control system issues.
• Investigate new technological developments and processes.
• Research, recommend, and implement systems to enhance Systems functionality and reliability.
• Make recommendations to change standards and methods to improve processes and results.
• Provide supervision and/or support for Government Controls Engineer or Controls Specialist staff members as required.
• Ensure compliance with the Change Management process.
• Enforce process control system life cycle practices.
• Develop and maintain relationship with Process Control vendors to keep current with changes in operational control systems.
• Review vendor specifications, report findings and make recommendations.
• Operating Facilities are located in and around the DC Metro area
• Some days may require extensive walking between sites.
• Occasionally requires “on-call” out of hours support during evenings, nights, holidays and weekends.
• Minimal travel (less than 10%), including overnight, as required.
Required Education & Experience:
• Must have a current Secret clearance with the ability to obtain/maintain a Top Secret level clearance.
• Bachelors Degree with 4+ years of professional experience. An additional 4 years experience and/or certifications may be considered in lieu of a degree.
• Ability to work the second shift: 2pm to 10pm Monday thru Friday.
• Working knowledge of electrical, mechanical, and instrumentation process control equipment and systems, specifically with HVAC systems.
• Experience with DDC Controls: Automated Logic, Alerton, Delta, Reliable, and Loytec.
• Demonstrated knowledge with Allen Bradley PLC’s.
• Knowledgeable in one or more of the following communications protocols: BACnet/IP, BACnet MS/TP, Modbus RTU, Modbus TCP/IP, LonWorks, OPCUA, and DNP3.
• Must have a good understanding of network fundamentals.
• Experience with MS Visio software and be able to maintain & modify system drawings.
• Strong organizational and time management skills with attention to detail.
• Excellent interpersonal, people and people management skills (e.g. listening, coaching, facilitating, tact/diplomacy, employee relations,
development, motivation, team building)
• Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously and adapt to changes in priority efficiently.
• Experience/Knowledge of Kepware KepServer OPC software suite.
• Experience/Knowledge of Iconics Genesis64 Software Suite.
• Experience/Knowledge of Automated Logic WebCTRL software.
• Experience/Knowledge programming & configuring Loytec Devices.
• Experience/Knowledge programming & configuring Automated Logic Devices.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Electrical Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.