Job Requisition:Chief Engineer
Reinvent yourself at Leidos! Uncover your potential by becoming a member of our team as our latest Chief Engineer working in San Diego, CA only 15 minutes from the Beach!! Help us support the US Air Force and Missile Defense Agency in the design, construction, and testing of electro-optical/infrared satellite systems which transform the payload solutions for the future. This is a highly dynamic and integrative environment in which talented and creative engineers can thrive as they interact with a diverse array of multidisciplinary engineers. We are seeking a highly motivated engineer skilled at technical planning, system hardware-software-network design, development and integration, verification and validation, and fielding of space electro-optical payloads.
Fun stuff on the job:
- Conduct applied research and advanced engineering in the development of new electro-optical/Infrared (EO/IR) sensors, components, and subassemblies
- Work with actual space hardware, including optics, focal planes, electronics, software, cryocoolers, and spacecraft data interfaces
- Evaluate alternatives including cost and risk, supportability and analyses for total systems
- Manage and mentor more a technical team in a variety of disciplines
- Lead EO/IR system technical proposal teams
- Perform systems requirements analysis, functional analysis, timeline analysis, requirements allocation and payload design, trade studies, interface definition, technical team management, integration, system testing, and spacecraft integration.
- Impact strategy by developing new solutions, processes, standards or operational plans that position Leidos competitively
- Participate in all phases of payload design from cradle to grave, including requirements definition, block diagrams, design, development, electro-optical testing, system integration, buyoff tests, and on-orbit support.
- Produce reports, presentations, and participate in working groups
Skills you must have to be successful in this role:
- Master’s degree in engineering or science with 15 - 20 years of prior relevant experience or Doctorate with 13 - 16 years of prior relevant experience
- Must have an active Secret security clearance
- Specialized experience includes the use of structured analysis, design methodologies and/or design tools in the development and implementation of large projects and experience leading EO/IR sensor assembly, integration and test.
- The successful candidate should be a creative problem solver and demonstrate a broad ranging technical management and team development experience encompassing: • Electro-optical multispectral and hyperspectral imaging sensors or ground, airborne and space applications • Visible and infrared focal plane array and photo-detector technology • Process and system development • Failure and reliability engineering • Risk analysis and management
- Strong understanding of mechanical, electrical, software and systems engineering principles
- Experience working with cross functional teams developing space payloads
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
You will wow us even more if you have these skills:
- Ability to assist in generating schedules
- Demonstrated technical leadership of small engineering teams
- Have or are willing to obtain a top secret clearance
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Integration2000Leidos Innovations Center (LInC)
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.